The Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) provides appropriate nursing care under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) in compliance with the standards of care at AHMC Seton Medical Center and the LVN Nurse Practice Act; demonstrates respect for the individual and maintains the dignity of the patient and family unit.
- Care for all types of patients and perform those skills and procedures taught in an accredited program of vocational nursing. Perform all care within the scope of practice for vocational nurses and as practices at Seton Medical Center.
- Appropriately assess and document the patient’s initial condition and assesses and documents ongoing changes. Participate in patient interventions, plans for care and evaluation of care.
- Plan and initiate patient teaching as related to the patient’s illness. Includes teaching and psychosocial interventions with both patients and family.
- Participate and document discharge planning for the patient on initial admission and throughout hospital stay.
- Participate in unit-based quality assurance activities.
- Administer and monitor the effects of medications as prescribed by a physician and in accordance with practice at Seton Medical Center.
- Perform venipuncture following the standards of practice at Seton Medical Center.
- Demonstrate safety-conscious behavior consistent with the Safety Program.
- Demonstrate ability to document information in the patient record accurately and in a timely, concise manner.
- Demonstrate participation in professional self-development.
- Use effective oral and written skills to communicate with other members of the health care team as well as patients and their families.
- Show appropriate leadership skills while directing other members of the health care team.
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned by a Registered Nurse.
- Specific Tasks and Expectations
- Cares for all types of patients and performs those skills and procedures taught in an accredited Program of Vocational Nursing. Performs all care within the scope of practice for vocational nurses and as practiced at Seton Medical Center.◦Has passed skills checklist for licensed vocational nurse and has demonstrated proficiency in all skills. (Note skills that need updating.)
◦Practices vocational nursing skills under the direction of an RN and seeks assistance from the RN as appropriate.
Appropriately assesses and documents the patient’s initial condition and assesses and documents ongoing changes. Participates in patient interventions, plans for care, and evaluation of care under direction of an RN.◦Demonstrates ability to thoroughly assess patient’s condition and document using focus charting.
◦Documents patient problems, interventions, and outcomes using focus charting.
◦Assesses and documents patient’s on-going condition and any change in condition.
◦Demonstrates knowledge of the Nursing Process by correctly utilizing focus charting.
- Plans and initiates patient teaching as related to the patient’s illness. Includes teaching and psychosocial interventions with both patients and family.◦On admission, assesses patient’s learning needs and documents those need in the nursing record.
◦Documents the plan of teaching, interventions taken, and their outcomes.
◦Documents patient’s response to their illness, including psychosocial interventions with both patients and family and their outcome.
- Participates and documents discharge planning for the patient on initial admission and throughout the hospital stay.◦Initiates and documents need for Discharge Planning on admission assessment
◦Documents discharge planning, equipment needs, or home health needs throughout the length of the hospital stay.
- Participates in unit-based quality assurance activities.◦Participates, as directed by RN, in ongoing unit-based monitors.
◦Participates in problem solving based on findings of unit-based monitors.
- Administers and monitors the effects of medications as prescribed by a physician and in accordance with practice at Seton Medical Center.◦Consistently charts sites of injections.
◦Consistently charts effects of pain medications on record.
◦Consistently monitors the effects of all medication, documents and informs the registered nurse of any untoward effect.
- Performs venipuncture following the standard of practice at Seton Medical Center.◦Consistently follows IV policy as written at Seton Medical Center
◦Charts and documents appropriately in the Medical Record when administering IV fluids and blood products (as per transfusion policy)
◦Changes IV sites and documents such according to Seton Medical Center
- Demonstrates ability to document information in the patient record in a timely, concise manner.◦Charting is legible and concise at all times.
◦Charting accurately reflects the patient’s clinical status.
- Demonstrates participation in professional self-development◦Shows initiative in attending inservices and workshops appropriate to professional
◦Document evidence of continuing education courses as required for licensure.
- Use effective oral and written skills to communicate with the members of the health care team, as well as patients and their families.◦Demonstrates courteous and therapeutic communication with patients and family.
- Displays courteous and professional behavior while interacting with members of the health care team.
- Shows appropriate leadership skills while directing other members of the health care team.◦Participates in orientation of new employees and registry personnel.
◦Directs courteous and professional behavior while interacting with members of the health team.
- Performs appropriate duties as assigned by a Registered Nurse.◦Willingly performs tasks for other members of the health care team when needed.
◦Show initiative in performing duties outside of assignment.
◦Uses oral and written skills in effectively communicating to other health team members, patients, and families.
- Graduation from an accredited School of Licensed Vocational Nursing.
- Previous experience preferred.
- Current California licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support.
- Senior Licensed Vocational Nurses must have successfully completed courses in Intravenous Therapy approved by the State Board, and Pharmacology as recognized by the Board of Vocational Nurses and other unit specific certifications. All Licensed Vocational Nurses must complete IV certification within six (6) months of hire.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledgeable of the California Nursing Practice Act.
- Able to understand and follow all policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations of Nursing Service, AHMC Seton Medical Center
AHMC- Seton Medical Center has a long tradition of providing patient-centered, quality care and a commitment to clinical excellence and our community. Founded in 1893, the 357-bed medical center now serves 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz. We pride ourselves on improving the health and well-being of our patients, community, and populations, we serve with high quality community partnerships, and continuous innovation to our health care delivery system and this is why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to deliver the safest and highest quality patient-centered care