The ED Tech participates in the clinical aspects of patient care with all members of the health care team under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse. Possess the knowledge and ability to provide care to the age specific population to which assigned.
1. Performs assigned tasks in accordance with competency and approved policy and standards.
2. Initiates INT’s using aseptic technique and documents to the medical record the time, the size, and the location of placement.
3. Provides comfort measures to all assigned patients (i.e. assistance with toileting, providing blankets for warmth and/ or privacy, etc.) making certain the patient is made to feel supported during the entire ED visit.
4. Demonstrates an understanding of the medical plan of care to ensure that orders reviewed and implemented promptly and accurately.
5. Contributes relevant and appropriate information to the registered nurse or licensed practical nurse regarding any changes in patient status.
6. Seeks out opportunities to offer assistance to fellow staffers in order to expedite patient care and decrease patient length of stay.
7. Assures an aesthetic and safe environment for the patient and family (treatment room is cleaned and clutter free, trash is empty, bedpans/ urinals are emptied).
8. Performs waived lab testing, assuring that logs are maintained accurately and controls are completed daily.
9. Under the delegation of the RN/ LPN, assists in the plan of care of the patient based upon findings from the primary and secondary assessment.
10. Performs therapeutic functions as delegated and/or observed by a registered nurse to include: data collection without analysis, documentation of chief complaint, performance and documentation of SPO2, initial and outgoing vital signs.
11. Performs phlebotomy using aseptic technique and following accepted practice standards particular to the test ordered (i.e. blood culture collection).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Skill and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in-writing.
• Skill and ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to work as a member of a team.
• Skill and ability in Microsoft Office applications.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
One of the following:
1. Current Georgia Basic EMT Certification or National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians Registry/ Intermediate Level certification or previous Georgia Basic EMT Certification or National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians Registry/ Intermediate Level certification 2. A student currently enrolled in an accredited nursing program that has completed at least 1 semester of clinical rotations within an acute care hospital or
3. 2 years of patient care tech and/or Emergency Room Tech experience in lieu of EMT license.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Current BLS CPR Card
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Prior experience working in an Emergency Department preferred.