The research associate will oversee all technical aspects of the metabolomics core. As part of the position, the research associate will be responsible for conducting experiments using LC-MS/MS for metabolite identification and quantification. This will include preparing samples from human and mouse cells, blood and tissue extracts and advising clients on proper experimental approaches. Applicant must have a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience with LC-MS/MS and a background in cellular metabolism and biochemistry. The position is open immediately and requires a minimum commitment of 2-3 years.
- Maintains a lab database of technical and animal protocols, plasmids, antibodies and other key resources.Keeps accurate records of reagents.
- Troubleshoots experimental design malfunctions and implements solutions, interfaces directly with equipment manufacturers for adjustments and repairs
- Instructs research personnel on specialized techniques and complex protocols; coordinates and participates in intra-collegial presentations and meetings. Trains and mentors research personnel.
- Analyzes results of experiments independently.
- Develops scientific hypotheses related to ongoing work in the laboratory. Designs experiments to test hypotheses
- Ph.D. required
- Handling samples for LC-MS/MS
- Handling mouse breeding, blood, and platelets
- An understanding of biochemistry and pharmacology
- Ability to present work at national meetings, prepare manuscripts for submission and prepare grants a plus
- Familiarity with various computer programs such as word, excel, powerpoint, prism, and endnote.
Conditions of Employment
Covid Vaccination is a requirement for employment at Jefferson for employees working at Jefferson’s clinical entities or at the University. If you are not currently vaccinated you will be required to receive the vaccination prior to hire date if you are offered employment, unless you request and receive an approved medical or religious exemption from Jefferson.
Jefferson includes Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health, a dynamic university and health system with broad reach across the Delaware Valley. Jefferson is the second largest employer in Philadelphia and the largest health system in Philadelphia based on total licensed beds.
Through the merger of Thomas Jefferson University and Philadelphia University in 2017, our University includes ten colleges and four schools. We are an NCAA Division II university and an R2 national doctoral university offering undergraduate and graduate-level programs that provide students with a forward-thinking education in architecture, business, design, engineering, fashion and textiles, health, medicine and social science.
Jefferson Health, the clinical arm of Thomas Jefferson University, has grown from a three-hospital academic health center in 2015, to an 18-hospital health system through mergers and combinations that include hospitals at Abington Health, Aria Health, Kennedy Health, Magee Rehabilitation and Einstein Healthcare Network. We have over 50 outpatient and urgent care centers; ten Magnet®-designated hospitals (recognized by the ANCC for nursing excellence); the NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (one of only 70 in the country and one of only two in the region); and one of the largest faculty-based telehealth networks in the country. In 2021, Jefferson Health became the sole owner of HealthPartners Plan, a not-for-profit health maintenance organization in Southeastern Pennsylvania. We are the first health system regionally to create an aligned payer-provider partnership.
Jefferson’s mission, vision and values create an organization that attracts the best and the brightest students, faculty, staff, and healthcare professionals, as well as the most visionary leaders to drive exceptional results.
- OUR MISSION: We improve lives.
- OUR VISION: Reimagining health, education and discovery to create unparalleled value
- OUR VALUES: Put People First, Be Bold & Think Differently and Do the Right Thing
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.