Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on September 15, 2021 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to 'Continuous.'
At San Mateo Medical Center, we are always seeking ways to enhance the already impressive services we offer. This dedication to excellence is reflected in the exceptional care we provide and the extraordinary professionals who provide it. Here, you will have the chance to develop your talents with a skilled team of people who actively support and encourage each other's success. If you are ready to open new doors for your career, join us today!
$30,000 SIGNING BONUS for Regular positions! (3 phases)
Are you passionate about serving and making a difference in the community? Are you looking to join a progressive and committed healthcare department? Join Us! Learn More at
We are currently seeking two skilled Perioperative Registered Nurses (R.N.) with proven Endoscopy experience, for full-time positions. Under the indirect supervision of the Charge Nurse, the successful hires will implement the nursing process, including the nursing diagnosis. In addition, the Perioperative Nurse - Endoscopy will document nursing activities and intervention plans, as well as medication administered.
Our Endoscopy Suite, with one procedure room in the Short Stay Unit, provides endoscopic procedures on an outpatient and in-patient basis. The Short Stay Unit provides support for department volumes that exceed 1,300 procedures annually.
Our ideal applicants will possess the following:
- At least one year of direct, proven endoscopy technical experience.
- Experience working with procedural/conscious sedation.
- Previous Critical Care experience.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardio Life Support (ACLS) certification.
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) experience.
- Experience with current clinical computer systems, supplies and equipment.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establish and implement nursing care plans for each patient through assessment, development, activation and evaluation.
- Perform nursing care following prescribed rules, policies, protocol and procedures.
- Identify problems, assist in data gathering, propose solutions and participate in evaluation of quality assurance issues.
- Work with patient and their families to provide in-hospital and after-hospital follow-up through teaching and referral.
- Orient and teach new staff members of the nursing team and students.
- Participate in non-clinical assignments, which may include maintaining records, preparing reports and/or serving on special committees.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Perform pre-, intra- and post-operative nursing duties.
- Assist surgeons in selecting and handling of instruments, controlling bleeding, and suturing incisions.
- Perform scrubbing and circulating duties.
- Collect, interpret, record and communicate pertinent data relevant to the patient's care in surgery.
- Determine medical or psychiatric emergency need and provide intervention.
- Assist in the positioning of patients for surgery.
- Transfer patients to and from bed, gurney and/or operating table.
- Organize and coordinate schedules based on changes to patient status, the environment and procedures being administered.
- Provide sedation during Endoscopy.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- A valid California license as a Registered Nurse.
- Possession and maintenance of BLS certification.
- If assigned to Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit (PACU) or Surgical Short Stay Unit (SSU), possession and maintenance of an ACLS and/or PALS certification.
- If assigned to the Operating Room (OR), possession and maintenance of ACLS certification within three months of hire.
- If assigned to Endoscopy (ENDO), possession and maintenance of ACLS certification.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Current nursing and related medical theory and skills necessary to administer nursing care within assigned clinical setting.
- Safety and infection control practices.
- Clinical systems, supplies and equipment.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Perform nursing procedures required for assigned clinical setting.
- Comply with clinical procedures and policies.
- Maintain professional nurse-patient relationships.
- Communicate with and educate patients, families, and the public who come from a diverse background.
- Work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Follow safety practices.
- Assist in the instruction of other nursing and paraprofessional personnel.
- Bend, kneel and squat as needed.
- Occasionally use upper extremities to exert force to push and pull patients/objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
- Work in a busy environment.
Anyone may apply. Current San Mateo County and San Mateo County Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required information and supplemental questions in the online application. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted to be considered for this position.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of an interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or a screening committee may select those applicants whose education and/or experience appear to best meet the needs of the position based solely on the information provided in the application materials. Because of this screening process, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT : Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Carolyn Burns (082521) (Perioperative Nurse - F034)
Please visit for a complete listing of all benefits for this classification.
Benefits are offered to eligible employees of the County of San Mateo. All benefits are subject to change.
NOTE: Employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 may be subject to new Pension Reform retirement laws.
As an additional benefit, the County offers extensive training and development programs designed to improve skills and enhance career opportunities. Most programs are offered on County time at no cost to you.
County employees are also covered by the federal Social Security system and earn benefits for retirement based on salary and time worked.
IMPORTANT: Applicants for this position are required to submit responses to the following supplemental questions. Your responses will give us additional information about your background and experience related to this position and will be used in the selection process. Be concise and specific. Neatness, clarity of expression, grammar, spelling and ability to follow instructions will be considered in the evaluation process. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for your responses.
- Proceed to supplemental questions.
Possession of a current California license as a Registered Nurse is required to qualify for this recruitment. Do you possess a current California license as a Registered Nurse? (Please include your license number on the Certificates & Licenses section of the application. A "No" answer will disqualify you from this recruitment.)
Possession of each of the following life support certificates is required to be employed as an Endoscopy Nurse: Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS). Which of these certificates do you currently possess? (Please include information on the Certificates & Licenses section of the application. Any answer less than both certificates will disqualify you from this recruitment.)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
Describe your experience, education and background that directly relates to the Endoscopy Nurse position. Be specific.
Give one work-related example that best demonstrates your experience with a colonoscopy procedure that involved complications. Be sure to include: A) the details of the situation, B) the complications involved, C) the steps you took throughout the procedure, and D) the outcome. Be specific.
Describe your Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) experience. Be sure to include the type of equipment you have used and the endoscopic procedures performed. Be specific