ENTITY: Piedmont Atlanta Hospital
DEPT: Transitional Nursery
SCHEDULE/SHIFT: Full-time/Nights (3 12s; 7p-7a)
The staff nurse provides nursing care to patients from birth through the lifecycle utilizing nursing processes to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate the care for patients. He/she functions within the framework of the policies and procedures of the organization and demonstrates professional growth and accountability. The staff nurse is responsible for maintaining standards of practice, coordinating patient care activities of all assigned staff in the provision of quality nursing care.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Graduate of a nursing program
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
New Graduates of a nursing program eligible
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Current License in the State of Georgia as a Registered Nurse or NLC/eNLC Multistate License.
BLS certification required.
For PRN positions: One year of nursing experience in a hospital setting is required
Bachelor’s degree preferred
Advanced certification in field of specialty, if applicable (see addendum)
Nursing Experience in Hospital Setting Preferred
1. Performs patient assessments to include collection of data regarding the patient’s physical, psychosocial and health history.
2. Appropriately evaluates the developmental age of the patient when performing assessments, treatments and patient/family education.
3. Organizes patient data into the formulation of a plan of care; identifies additional information needed and makes care decisions based on identified needs. Identifies expected patient outcomes.
4. Carries out plan of care to achieve desired patient outcomes.
5. Provides patient care that is specific to the setting, identified needs and plan; ensures that the care provided is appropriate to the severity of the disease, condition, impairment or disability.
6. Oversees activities of ancillary and support team members.
7. Identifies teaching opportunities and provides the resources necessary for achieving the educational goals of the patients.
8. Communications issues/concerns to the Charge Nurse, Clinical Manager and/or physician as appropriate.
9. Documents patient care and concerns in the patient record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Effective Communication Skills
Ability to handle stressful environments
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
ADDENDUM – ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR SPECIALTY AREAS:
All Nursing Disciplines
• Collects pertinent data and information relative to the healthcare consumer’s health or the situation
• Analyzes the assessment data to determine actual or potential diagnoses, problems, and issues
• Identifies expected outcomes for a plan individualized to the healthcare consumer or the situation
• Develops a plan that prescribes strategies to attain expected, measurable outcomes
• Implements the identified plan of care
• Coordinates care delivery
• Employs strategies to promote health and a safe environment
• Evaluates progress toward attainment of goals and outcomes
• Practices ethically
• Practices in a manner that is congruent with current diversity and inclusion principles
• Communicates effectively in all areas of practice
• Collaborates with healthcare consumer and other key stakeholders in the conduct of nursing practice
• Leads within the professional practice setting and the profession
• Seeks knowledge and competence that reflects current nursing practice and promotes futuristic thinking
• Integrates evidence and research findings into practice
• Contributes to quality nursing practice
• Evaluates one’s own and others’ nursing practice
• Utilizes appropriate resources to plan, provide, and sustain evidence-based nursing services that are safe, effective, and fiscally responsible
• Practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner
Additional Required Certifications:
Labor and Delivery-ACLS Certification - (Nurse Residents or nurses new to specialty will complete applicable certifications within 6 months of start date) NRP by the end of orientation period, AWHONN Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Program within 12 months of start date
Mother/Baby- NRP by the end of orientation period
NICU- NRP by the end of orientation period
NAT (Newborn Admission Team)- NRP by the end of orientation period
Nursery- NRP by the end of orientation period