Job DetailsJob Location
American Psychiatric Association HQ - Washington, DCPosition Type
Full TimeEducation Level
High School Travel Percentage
less than 10%Job Category
Under the direction of the Director, Membership and Member Engagement, the Membership Specialist is responsible for management of all membership transactions and updates to member records in the Salesforce Association Management System (AMS). The Specialist works autonomously to provide support for up to 17 District Branches and their Executive leadership. The Membership Specialist provides timely, high-quality customer service to inquiries and requests from members. The Membership Specialist also provides assistance to support the needs of APAs Senior Leadership, the Membership Committee, and the Board of Trustees and others, as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage all membership operations for assigned District Branches (DBs)
- Synthesize Membership Operations Manual and processes to effectively execute on all regular tasks; provide input on Standard Operating Procedure documentation.
- Manage daily schedule to complete data reviews and data entry.
- Complete all assigned work for application set up, review of qualifications for approval of all new and reinstated members, transfer of members between District Branches, along with other similar tasks. Update member contact information demographics, to include deceased member research
- Modify and run existing Salesforce reports to accomplish daily, weekly or monthly tasks, and write new ad hoc reports, as needed.
- Participate in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) when testing database functionality.
- Participate in continual process improvement by identifying and sharing system errors for review and correction.
- Manage the collection, application, transfer, or of refund membership dues
- Process dues relief requests
- Conduct outreach and update failed scheduled credit card payment process
- Review and correct errors on monthly financial reports remitted to the District Branches and State Association
- Manage Organizational and Group Invoicing for programs within states for which this position is responsible; work with institution program coordinator on invoicing and application management.
- Act as liaison between District Branches Billing Manager in ongoing review of delinquent dues-paying members and coordinate any special action
- Assist with enrollment and verification of residents for 100% Club recruitment efforts
Advise and consult with District Branch Executive Staff
- Evaluate and respond to all telephone and written correspondence from district branch staff regarding membership status, benefits and/or dues status within 48 business hours
- Work with District Branch Executive Staff on implementing appropriate and necessary courses of actions for membership activities and transactions as well as overall operations based on APA policies and procedures
- Under the direction of the Manager, Member Experience, provide instruction/informal training to District Branch Executive and support staff, as required
- Analyze, research and develop the appropriate responses to all inquiries and requests from the district branches reflecting APA policies and procedures
- Complete data quality updates and data research
Provide timely and personalized attention to member inquiries
- Evaluate and respond to all telephone and written correspondence from members regarding membership status, benefits and/or dues status within 24 business hours
- Send information requested within 48 business hours
- Determine issues that need to be escalated to provide responses to difficult or multi-issues letters, resolve complaints/errors, and to make member contact with APA a pleasant and relatively smooth experience
Perform other duties as assigned
- College degree with 2+ years experience or 3-4 years minimum office experience or equivalent experience required
- Experience working in professional or medical association or society a plus
- Ability to work autonomously and has demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and to learn and utilize new software applications and processes
- Keen attention to detail, strong organization skills and ability to do careful and thorough work under pressure
- Ability to interact in a diplomatic and tactful way with members, public, and other staff especially in acrimonious situations
- Proficient in Windows and MS Office, with high degree of competency in Excel
- Proficient in use of Association Management Systems, preferably Salesforce/MemberNation (Fonteva), including efficient and accurate data entry
- Ability to learn quickly, understand and implement changes in policies and procedures
- Ability to organize a highly complex and multifaceted workflow based on general guidelines from the By-Laws and Operations Manual
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including composing clear, concise and accurate correspondence
- Ability to coordinate work with other staff members and to organize own work priorities to meet established deadlines
EOE, including disability/vets