$81,140.80 - $142,565.00 Annually
**You must be POST certified or have previous experience as a California Peace Officer to be considered as a Police Officer Lateral**
At the City of Irvine, we strive to make a difference within a progressive, forward-thinking organization in an environment that embraces diversity, creativity, and respect. If you are interested in a career in law enforcement as part of a world class agency, the Police Officer position would be an excellent opportunity. Expedited Process:as a Lateral or an Academy Graduate applicant, the written examination and physical agility test is waived.
The Irvine Police Department's geographic policing model ensures a high level of community collaboration, strategic partnerships, and progressive problem solving. As a Police Officer, you will patrol designated areas of the City and respond to calls or complaints while taking necessary action.Published top step amount dependent on being eligible for the following:
Shift Differential 2%
Intermediate POST 5%
Detective, SRO, Traffic, and DARE 3%
Advanced POST 15.5%
SWAT, CNT, and Mounted Unit 1.5%
Professional Development Funds $1,300 (annual)
- Investigate crime against persons or property, make arrests, and enforce traffic regulations.
- Write police reports, testify in court, and perform other related law enforcement duties.
- Interface closely with all segments of the community.
- Maintain knowledge of local ordinances and state laws, regulations, and City procedures.
- Complete a Field Training Officer (FTO) program to prepare for patrol duties within designated areas of the City.
- Find additional information in the Police Officer job description.
All applicants must be able to pass the Public Safety background check process.The City
- You must be POST certified or have previous experience as a California Peace Officer to be considered for this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent, completion of 60 college level units or an AA degree and or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Requires U.S. citizenship or the ability to obtain citizenship within three years of appointment.
- Requires possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid California driver license.
Irvine is recognized as one of America's Best Places to Live, according to Money Magazine
. The City of Irvine has the distinction of being one of the safest cities in the United States with a population of more than 100,000, based upon FBI statistics on violent crime.Your Team
The Public Safety Department is a full-service public safety agency that provides several special program areas including Emergency Management, Crime Prevention, DARE, School Resource Officer, K-9s, Traffic Enforcement, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, General Investigation, Crime Scene Investigation, Special Investigation (vice & narcotics), and the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT). Irvine is committed to a full community oriented policing concept that interfaces closely with all segments of the community.The Process
The selection process will include an expedited oral examination process, and background investigation prior to appointment.. All applicants must be able to pass the Public Safety background check
This includes, but is not limited to, the review of: legal documents, police and driving records, credit profile, motor vehicle insurance, vehicle operation, prior employment records, and performance reviews. Information about the public safety background process may be found at our Police Department Employment page.
This recruitment may establish an eligibility list to fill future positions in similar and/or lower classifications within the organization. This is a continuous recruitment and interested applicants should submit their application as soon as possible. This recruitment may close at any time without notice.2022 Calendar
Oral Interviews*7/21/20228/25/20229/22/202210/20/202211/29/202212/15/2022*Oral Interview dates are not guaranteed. Please save the date in case you are selected to participate in the process.Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Irvine is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. We encourage you to inform Human Resources at least two business days prior to the first phase of the selection process if you have a disability that may require an accommodation.