This position is responsible for ensuring the continuity of care in both the inpatient and outpatient setting utilizing the appropriate resources within the parameters of established contracts and patients’ health plan benefits. Facilitates continuum of patients’ care utilizing basic nursing knowledge, experience and skills to ensure appropriate utilization of resources and patient quality outcomes. Performs care management functions on-site or telephonically as the need arises. Reports findings to the Care Management department Supervisor / Manager / Director in a timely manner.
LPN/LVN Care Manager
• Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate our company's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer.
• Implements current policies and procedures set by the Care Management department.
• Conducts on-site or telephonic prospective, concurrent and retrospective review of active patient care, including out-of-area and transplant.
• Reviews patients’ clinical records of acute inpatient assignment within 24 hours of notification.
• Reviews patients’ clinical records within 48 hours of SNF admission.
• Reviews patient referrals within the specified care management policy timeframe (Type and Timeline Policy).
• Coordinates treatment plans and discharge expectations. Discusses DPA and DNR status with attending physician when applicable.
• Prioritizes patient care needs. Meets with patients, patients’ family and caregivers as needed to discuss care and treatment plan.
• Acts as patient care liaison and initiates pre-admission discharge planning by screening for patients who are high-risk, fragile or scheduled for procedures that may require caregiver assistance, placement or home health follow-up.
• Identifies and assists with the follow-up of high-risk patients in acute care settings, skilled nursing facilities, custodial and ambulatory settings. Consults with physician and other team members to ensure that care plan is successfully implemented.
• Coordinates provisions for discharge from facilities including follow-up appointments, home health, social services, transportation, etc., in order to maintain continuity of care.
• Communicates authorization or denial of services to appropriate parties. Communication may include patient (or agent), attending/referring physician, facility administration and our company claims as necessary.
• Attends all assigned Care Management Committee meetings and reports on patient status a defined by the region.
• Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the cost consequences resulting from care management decisions through utilization of appropriate reports such as Health Plan Eligibility and Benefits, Division of Responsibility (DOR), and Bed Days.
• Ensures appropriate utilization of medical facilities and services within the parameters of the patients’ benefits and/or CMC decisions. This includes appropriate and timely movement of patients through the various levels of care.
• Maintains effective communication with the health plans, physicians, hospitals, extended care facilities, patients and families.
• Provides accurate information to patients and families regarding health plan benefits, community resources, specialty referrals and other related issues.
• Initiates data entry into IS systems of all patients within the parameters of Care Management policies and procedures. Maintains accurate and complete documentation of care rendered including LOC, CPT code, ICD-9, referral type, date, etc.
• Follows patients on ambulatory care management programs, including CHF and home health, in order to optimize clinical outcomes.
• Uses, protects, and discloses our company’s patients’ protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
• Performs additional duties as assigned.
• 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a two-year college.
• Graduation from an accredited school of Nursing.
• Current California LVN license.
• Minimum: Over 1 year and up to and including 3 years of clinical experience or equivalent experience.
• Minimum: At least 1 year of recent clinical experience.
• Preferred: 3 to 5 years of recent clinical nursing experience.
• Preferred: Previous care management, utilization review or discharge planning experience.
• Preferred: Managed care experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Computer literate.
• Knowledge of current standards of patient care.
• Thorough understanding of LVN scope of practice.
• Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
• Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with physicians, patients, families and ancillary staff.
• Ability to make sound, independent judgments and act professionally under pressure.
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you’ll find incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical practices are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its affiliated