595 Burrard Street
Job Family Group:
Wealth Sales & Service
Provides a superior level of customer service and portfolio management in lending services for all existing and potential clients and in support of a team of specialists and relationship managers. Provides technical expertise for proactive credit analysis, structuring, decisions, and portfolio monitoring. Applies lending expertise to a lending and deposit portfolio of accounts or part of the lending process (e.g. underwriting, funding, monitoring).
- Identifies cross-selling opportunities to increase client penetration for banking, investments and deposits.
- Prepares new business proposals or presentations to clients/prospects.
- Participates in activities for client meetings and account opening documentation.
- Assists with the development of client communications as required.
- Identifies and recommends workflow process alternatives that can lead to improved efficiency and service levels.
- Ensures timely resolution of all client questions and concerns, both internal and external.
- Performs client sales & service support activities as required to meet client needs and maintain overall service standards.
- Determines client needs and ensures timely and accurate completion of transaction processing.
- Provides after sales support and handles exceptions tactfully, accurately and efficiently in accordance with Bank policy.
- Reviews and provides feedback and best practices about client solutions and credit structure.
- Maintains detailed knowledge and understanding of the integrated private banking services and offerings and lending procedures.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders in order to deliver on business objectives.
- Completes comprehensive analysis for risk, financial and profitability rating and assessments.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses any issues.
- Designs and produces regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
- Implements and monitors procedural and policy changes as required.
- Manages operational audits and controls for banking and account administration.
- Manages day to day portfolio administration activities through the completion of a wide variety of credit, non-credit, and related activities.
- Monitors the timely and accurate setup & maintenance of accounts, including account setups, collateralization, and documentation.
- Provides input into the planning and implementation of operational programs.
- Executes set-up, maintenance, and advancement of lending products and related account administration as per guidelines.
- May specialize as either a funding specialist or a credit underwriting specialist.
- As a funding specialist, facilitates the funding process acting as a final and independent control point for legal documentation and ensures that the security/legal documentation reflects what was approved; all terms and conditions noted in the credit application have been met; proper execution/perfection of all documents prior to funding/releasing funds; assesses significance of any security or conditions shortfalls, credit and fraud risks.
- As a credit underwriter, focuses on underwriting and making recommendations loan applications; interacting directly with Clients, Prospects, Bankers and Risk Management to provide expertise regarding the adjudication of applications.
- Mitigates identified risks and makes credit recommendations/decisions in accordance with sound credit-granting principles and compliance with the Bank’s philosophy and principles outlined in corporate risk policy and supporting policies and procedures.
- Identifies and escalates irregularities and discrepancies to management as per guidelines.
- Participates in assigned audits and compliance reviews.
- Ensures proper adherence to the code of conduct and ethical guidelines.
- Follows security and safeguarding procedures and applies appropriate due diligence for the prevention of loss due to fraud, counterfeiting money laundering or defalcation in accordance with Bank policy.
- Protects the Bank’s assets by adhering to all banking, investment and lending regulations, policies, and procedures, legal and ethical requirements, process requirements, bank guidelines, and established risk guidelines.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently on a range of complex tasks, which may include unique situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 4 - 6 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires Credit Qualification in accordance with the established credit qualification processes, policies, and procedures.
- Commercial Loan and Underwriting experience in a financial services environment.
- In-depth knowledge of personal (primarily) and commercial credit and non-credit products, monitoring/operational processes and applications.
- In-depth understanding of loan and security documentation, including registration and renewal routine.
- Technical proficiency gained through education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Note to Recruiters: BMO does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to BMO, directly or indirectly, will be considered BMO property. BMO will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. A recruiting agency must first have a valid, written and fully executed agency agreement contract for service to submit resumes.