$5,384.87 - $7,216.22 Monthly
Regular, full time, full benefits
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
Our mission is to facilitate orderly growth and development in the Deschutes County community through coordinated programs of Land Use Planning, Environmental Soils, Building Safety, Code Enforcement, Education, and Service to the public. ABOUT THE COUNTY:
We know where you choose to live, work and play matters. Deschutes County is one of the largest employers in Central Oregon and the largest municipal government in the region. Our dedicated and passionate workforce of more than 1,100 employees provide County services in a number of departments, divisions, and offices. Located in the heart of Central Oregon, between the towering Cascade Mountain Range to the west and the high desert plateau to the east, Deschutes County is the outdoor recreation capital of Oregon. We enjoy a renowned quality of life, with big-city opportunities and small-town neighborhoods.ABOUT THE JOB
The Associate Planner performs a variety of professional, technical, and administrative duties to support the planning division. Incumbent will be responsible for reviewing proposed land use applications, assisting customers at the counter, with problems and questions, conducting pre-application meetings, and explaining the purpose of and procedure for land use applications. Associate Planners have the ability to work on a wide range of application types, including, but not limited to, destination resorts; cluster and planned developments; and commercial and industrial uses in unincorporated communities. The typical work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
This position is located in Deschutes County and may be eligible for hybrid of in-office/remote work as allowed by policy and approved by the supervisor.Key Responsibilities:
What You Will Bring:
- Review interesting and complex land use applications for conformance with applicable zoning codes.
- Provide excellent customer service through our public information counter.
- Represent the county at public hearings in front of Hearings Officers and the Board of County Commissioners.
Knowledge of or experience with:
- Applying codes, laws and rules.
- Preparing reports to support your conclusions.
- General planning principles.
*This posting is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but rather constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function.
- Critical thinking.
- Detail-oriented analysis and writing.
- Customer service.
Notification to all candidates will be sent via email and/or text
only. Please opt in for text messaging or check your email and your Governmentjobs.com account for application status.
Review the full job description by clicking HERE.
$5,384.87 to $7,216.22 per month for a 172.67 hour work month. This union-represented position is available immediately.
Our robust health plan is offered at a minimal cost of $90 per month, which includes an innovative on-site clinic, pharmacy, and wellness and wellbeing services. Additionally,
we include life insurance, retirement (PERS), generous paid time-off (14-18 hours/month to
start, pro-rated for part-time), holidays, and professional development opportunities.
Please click HERE for full benefit details.
This position has been re-opened until filled.
- Bachelor's degree in Planning, Engineering, Earth Sciences, Business or Public Administration;
- AND two (2) years of experience with community development and regional planning programs;
- OR any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills and knowledge to perform the job.
- Minimum of two (2) years of progressive planning experience, or similar experience analyzing codes and preparing reports.
Necessary Special Requirements
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Oregon driver's license within 30 days of hire date. The employment offer will be contingent upon presentation of an acceptable and verifiable driver's license, pre-employment screening for criminal history, driving history, and controlled substances (NOTE: Positive test results for marijuana use may result in rescission of a contingent offer of employment). This screening must be completed with satisfactory findings in order for a formal offer of employment to be extended.