We are seeking an Engineering Manager to support our Software & Electronics team's Data Science & Analytics program. This role will support our growing needs for data wrangling, infrastructure, visualization, and advanced modeling across a range of business, manufacturing, and environmental data. You will support planning and building our data environment across the organization working with Farm Operations, Engineering, Business, and Research & Development teams. You will guide the development of data visualization and storytelling for functional leads and the company at-large that communicate insights, findings, and recommendations. Simultaneously, you will similarly guide the practice of data science that will enable a variety of R&D efforts.
As the S&E team grows, you will bridge technical and managerial gaps to ensure our data infrastructure meets company needs and industry standards, innovating wherever appropriate. Day-to-day work will include budgeting, prioritization, resource leveling, roadmap & program management, internal customer management, vendor management, and problem solving.Success
Success in this role requires developing the data sets, tools, and analysis necessary for data-driven decision making. This role must implement best practices that deliver and balance efficiency, speed, security, maintainability, and scalability in our data systems. Your objective is to define a strategy and vision for data science and analytics. You will lead a team of advanced data analysts in execution of this strategy and assume accountability for success.
We are looking for someone eager to develop strong bonds with diverse teams and operators. Candidates must thrive working on a blank page, highly interdisciplinary projects and excel at converting ambiguity into actionable plans. Candidates for this position will be expected to develop effective problem solvers around them and engender an engineering culture of innovation, good process, and execution. This role will be charged with delivering work with high visibility across our organization.
This role will ask the question "How can I help?" more than issue assignments. Ultimate success in this role requires investing in and supporting projects, programs, and colleagues so they reach and exceed their goals.Responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of standards, policies, procedures, and tools for data management and analysis across the company.
- Coordinate with teams across Upward Farms and partner organizations to assess and meet business and research data needs across our organization.
- Manage a coordination structure that links data analysts across company functional areas to prevent duplicate efforts and to discover core needs to be built out and managed within the S&E Data Science & Analytics program.
- Orient advanced analytics, business intelligence (BI), and research efforts towards aiding data-driven business decision making and process automation.
- Work with the S&E I.T. & Infrastructure program to ensure cybersecurity and good governance are maintained in relation to our data systems.
- Collaborate with project managers and product managers working within the Data Science & Analytics program-yet to be hired-to develop roadmaps, timelines, milestones, budgets, requirements, and operational protocols.
- Supervise and support multiple simultaneous projects, engaging reprioritization and resource leveling as necessary on an ongoing basis.
- Manage hiring and onboarding of new hires who join the S&E team with primary responsibilities in the Data Science & Analytics program.
- Work with our PeopleOps and S&E team members to identify gaps in our team and hire new colleagues to fill those gaps.
- Host regular two-way 1:1s with coachees including supporting development plans and performance reviews.
- Manage support and help desk response for data access and analytics.
- Consult with those working within the Data Science & Analytics program to contribute system designs and to solve technical and logistical problems.
- Report progress on projects to cross-functional leads and stakeholders and help clear obstacles.
- Manage vendor relationships and contract negotiations along with evaluating and hiring contractors.
- Manage communication and bridge information gaps between internal and external stakeholders, vendors, and partners.
- Drive and lead projects through influence and presence.
Preferred Skills + Experience
- Technical and management background with the following components:
- Minimum 8 years of data analytics/data science experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience as an engineering manager or technical program manager
- Minimum 3 years of project and/or program management experience
- Extensive background in Data Science, Business Intelligence, Information Systems, or related with a degree, appropriate certifications, or equivalent work experience
- Extensive background in Engineering Management, Technical Management, Business Administration, or related with a degree, appropriate certifications, or equivalent work experience
- Certifications or other education in and hands-on experiencing with developing & managing data science and analytics systems
- Experience delivering highly technical projects developed in parallel by working with a multidisciplinary team of specialists
- Experience hiring, onboarding, and coaching scientists, engineers and other specialists
- Excellent communication, collaboration, flexibility, empathy, and problem solving skills
- Hands on experience designing, building, and maintaining R&D data projects and business-grade data products
- Strong working knowledge of time-series data, data lakes, data warehouses, computational notebooks (e.g. Databricks), business intelligence tools (e.g. Power BI), AWS, Azure, SQL, and Industrial IoT
- Experience developing in Python (Pandas, Keras, Tensorflow, Matplotlib, etc.) and/or R and its many popular libraries
- Familiarity with statistical modeling (linear regression, logistic regression etc.)
- A thorough understanding of applied statistics including sampling approaches, causal modeling, time series analysis, data mining techniques, and predictive modeling
- Experience in working with large structured and unstructured data sets
- Experience with developing, deploying, and maintaining back-end production code, including but not limited to applied ML frameworks and applications (e.g. SciKit Learn, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Good working knowledge of classic project management and/or Agile/Lean/Scrum methodologies
Any of the following experience and knowledge is highly desirable though not required:
- Experience in manufacturing, agriculture, consumer packaged goods, grocery, and/or high-growth organizations
- Software testing and quality methodologies
We offer a dynamic work environment and benefits that include:
- Aetna Medical, Aetna and MetLife Dental, and Aetna Vision insurance; FSA/HSA plans; and HIPAA-compliant health advocates. Upward Farms contributes 80-95% of the premium for Medical benefits for employees and their families.
- Unlimited paid sick time. For extended illness, we offer short term disability.
- Up to 20 days paid time off per year, depending on experience, in addition to paid holidays.
- For new parents, an extension of New York State's paid family leave for up to 18 weeks of fully paid parental leave. This leave is in addition to Disability leave available to pregnant and postpartum mothers.
- Commuter benefits, discounted bike shares, and other perks.
- Fresh salad, and lots of it!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our needs are unique and varied so we value colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and/or protected veteran status.
Please note we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position; applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.