Our client is one of the UKs largest specialist civils and geotechnical engineering contractors, renowned for providing technically advanced and cost-effective foundations, piling and ground engineering solutions. Their reputation is built on engineering excellence and a commitment to continual innovation, backed by a central design, estimating and engineering resource, they can deliver a full service offering range including foundations, piling, groundworks, site remediation and geo-structures. As one of the largest specialist contractors in the industry, they are able to provide clients with bespoke solutions tailored to individual project specifications, which is all supported by their state-of-the-art processes and technologies. Additional work packages includes diaphragm walling, retaining structures, ground stabilisation, ground improvement and drilling & grouting.
Due to continued growth, a significant increase in workload and a number of recent spotlight contract awards, our client is now looking to recruit a Quantity Surveyor. Reporting to the Commercial Manager, the main purpose of this role will be to ensure commercial and contractual control and co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of assigned projects. You will provide support and assistance to other members of the commercial and quantity surveying teams, and Project Directors and Managers on all aspects relating to commercial activity.
- In conjunction with the relevant project management and commercial team members, be accountable for the profitability of projects, and assist in the development of an appropriate commercial strategy for schemes to ensure delivery of required margins
- Assist in the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system, ensuring all financial information is captured, managed, updated, tracked and reported with budget costs, tender allowances, risk, opportunities and deviations
- Assist in necessary interface information between clients, subcontractors, suppliers and internal teams
- Ensure any contract changes are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with clients in a timely manner
- Ensure that subcontracts are placed in an appropriate manner to step down required responsibilities from the main contract
- Assist the project delivery team in arranging and undertaking financial reviews, including the issue of associated reports
- Assist in the provision of accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on projects in line with the companys reporting process, whilst always ensuring compliance with commercial expectations
- Support progress monitoring, provide commercial reporting and incorporate information to support change management and variations orders
- Previous experience in the capacity of being a member of a commercial team within a relevant civil engineering, construction, sub-contracting or infrastructure environment
- Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of contract
- Knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes
- Knowledge of various construction techniques for a wide array of projects
- Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of quantity surveying to complex and challenging schemes
- Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts
- Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement
- Proficiency in administration, communication, reporting, numeracy, IT and MS Office etc
- The ability to build effective relationships at all levels both internally and externally
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
- Enthusiasm and results focussed, with an ability to work well under pressure and to challenging or stringent deadlines
- Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external clients and teams
A highly attractive remuneration package is on offer for the successful candidate, coupled with career progression, security and longevity of work given the companys secured forward order workload over the next five years and their continued dedication to profitable growth within the UK.