Data Journalist, New Model
Citywire New Model Adviser is an award-winning publication for the financial advice community.
We are looking for a data journalist to write about the state of the financial advice market. The role will involve building data resources, writing news stories based on data, and investigating the market through data.
Articles will feature on the NMA website and our magazine. The reporter will also work with the editor on special projects such as the NMA Top 100 and 35 under 35 publications.
A little about us... Citywire helps people make better investments. We publish news, analysis and unique fund manager performance information to help professional investors make the best decisions about where to place their clients' money. Sustainability is at the heart of what we do. We employ around 300 staff and look for motivated, passionate and dynamic people from all walks of life and backgrounds. Professional development is paramount to us to keep innovated and we encourage training throughout your career. We have offices in London, Brighton, New York, Munich, Milan, Singapore and Sydney, and most recently Paris. We have fully embraced a hybrid model of working.
As our Data Journalist you will be involved in:
- Develop feature and news ideas based on data collected from businesses, Companies House and the regulator
- Contribute to survey work needed to collect the data
- Work with other NMA reporters to build ideas for investigations
- Deliver news stories for daily emails and longer form articles for monthly magazines
- Consider new formats for presenting data online and in print, with the help of the editor
- Build contacts in the industry to facilitate articles, such as asking for interviews, data checking or documentation
Job specific skills / technical skills / requirements
- Ability to interpret and manage large amounts of data. Lateral thinking and logical approach to tasks and challenges.
- Resourceful in being able to source data and explain/pitch article ideas on the back of this
- Good Excel skills and highly organised
- Ability to work independently, would work from home 2-3 days per week.
- Good communication skills. And ability to collaborate with colleagues in different departments and different levels of seniority. Ability to see other perspectives.
- Talk to and form relationships with external contacts – advisers, PRs, people at investment platforms
- Extra abilities such as coding languages would be a bonus
- Financial experience would be a big bonus
Who we are
Honesty, integrity, fairness and respect are four core values. We can and should disagree with one another, in the interests of getting the right answer. Arguments for truth, not ego. We should always focus on sustainability at every level of the company.
Excelling at your job will contribute to high performance at Citywire. You should have a continuous and constructive spoken dialogue with your manager about your performance, with reference to these behaviours: A positive approach; collaborating with colleagues; a make it happen attitude.
We offer a competitive salary and additional company benefits:
- 25 days holiday per annum (rising to 28 days after three years’ service followed by 30 days after five years’ service) plus bank holidays
- Flexible working options
- £480 allowance on any wellbeing activity and/or gym options. We will help with your monthly or annual costs
- We have a personal trainer who runs virtual workout sessions during lunchtime weekly
- Eye-test and glasses allowance
- Medical and Dental private insurance available after probation (3 months)
- Competitive private pension scheme
- Critical illness cover and group life assurance from day 1
- Well-being: access to an independent Employee Assistance Programme available 24/7
- Cycle to work scheme and annual ticket travel card loans
- Techscheme, which lets staff buy the latest tech through their employer. Employees can spread the cost with payments from their salary across 12 months and make a National Insurance saving too
After two years continuous service you will also have access to group income protection.
On top of this…! We have a personal trainer who runs virtual workout sessions during lunchtime weekly.
Please do not miss our Youtube channel where we say a lot about us: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMOUK4uLN7yZU8j79l4zcg
Pre-selected applicants will undertake 2 psychometrics tests.
Interviews will take place via Zoom/Teams.
Citywire is an equal opportunities employer.