POSITION: Environmental Services Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
Why Charter Senior Living?
“It truly feels like a family at Charter. The residents are an extension of my family now. I love coming to their home and helping them stay healthy by assisting them with their medications and care. I love to chat with them and laugh because at Charter our values include “Have fun while serving”. We are charged with enhancing the human spirit of our residents, but they are really enhancing my spirit.”
At Charter Senior Living, our mission statement and core values unite us in our purpose. We have positioned our company as a caring and compassionate leader within our field, but more importantly, we strive to demonstrate our commitment to our residents each and every day. That’s the Charter difference.
You won’t want to miss out on the opportunity to “Enhance the Human Spirit” by Serving with Heart, Serving with Purpose, Service with Courage and best of all Have Fun while Serving
Environmental Services Assistant is responsible for the general maintenance of the community
including all common areas, resident apartments, grounds, equipment, and mechanical systems, and for
driving the community van
Coordinate and communicate with all other team members of the community in maintaining a holistic
perspective of service and care. Lead by example and make certain that the progress and services lead by
yourself, maximize each resident's quality of life, identity, interests, abilities, and preferences.
Follow and actively participate in all resident orientation programs. Explain the amenities, routines and
expectations of the community and your department and discuss their unique needs and preferences
with them as often as necessary to ease their transition. Personally get to know the residents by
communicating with other team members and through direct conversation with residents.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Must exhibit proficiency in and routinely perform a wide variety of building maintenance and mechanical
work including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, interior and exterior painting, masonry, drywall repair,
small appliance and minor equipment repair and troubleshooting.
2. Promptly respond to resident apartment maintenance or repairs.
3. Inspect and prepare all apartments for rent ready status as per company policy before new residents
move into the community. Rent ready apartments must include, but not limited to, the following:
4. Solicit appropriate plant maintenance estimates or bids when necessary, and to present to community
5. Evaluate performance of all service contractors.
6. Perform all required painting of apartments, general maintenance, ground maintenance and other
general duties as required to safely and properly operate the community.
7. Perform the appropriate floor covering cleaning (i.e. shampooing, buffing, stripping, waxing, etc.).
8. Establish, follow and document complete, routine and Preventive Maintenance Plan for plant, equipment, fixtures and furnishings.
9. Ensure all company, state, local or federal health, safety, health, building, fire and insurance codes or
requirements are met or exceeded at all times.
10. Obtain appropriate approval from community Executive Director prior to purchasing item(s). Maintain a
log of all expenses incurred and repairs completed.
11. Ensure all work orders are completed in a timely fashion and billing information is recorded (i.e.: time and
12. Maintain effective inventory and loss control program for the supplies, parts, tools and equipment of the
13. Ensure efficient and effective use of all maintenance department and community resources; human
resources; outside vendors and monetary resources within established budgetary guidelines, equipment
14. Participate in community and resident programs to include, but not limited to: Safety Committee and
Infection Control Committee and, new resident orientation program.
15. Safely and efficiently provide transportation for the residents when necessary. Transportation may be
required for resident activities, appointments, events, and emergencies.
16. Maintaining Resident Rights to the best of your ability.
17. Perform other duties that may be set by the company or specified by the community Executive
Director/Manager; completing all assigned duties which may change from time to time according to
resident needs, staffing levels, and working circumstances
18. Participate in all required training, orientation, meetings and programs offered by employer.
19. Innovate, plan, promote and supervise a building and grounds maintenance program that meets the
minimum standards of the property and can accommodate a broad spectrum of requests, situations,
preferences and physical limitations of the resident population. Continuously monitor the resident
population for shifts in preferences, values, physical condition and attitudes using approved surveys,
resident committees, suggestion boxes, etc.
20. Present a professional demeanor that communicates to current and prospective residents the corporate
philosophy of service, goodwill and genuine interest in the resident’s unique needs. Conduct yourself and
your business at all times so as not to detract from or reflect adversely on the reputation of the property.
Handle all resident concerns and complaints with finesse and in a caring, polite and professional manner.
1. Must be able to relate to the elderly in a positive manner.
2. Must be a skilled maintenance person for general maintenance duties.
3. Must be clean, tidy and appropriately dressed.
4. Must use caution in performing duties and maintain safe working practices.
He/she must possess a current state-specific driver's license and have transportation at their disposal.
Locate problems and arrive at solutions as swiftly as possible. Be familiar with tools and have a
knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, electrical and safety, understanding all tasks must be completed in
conformity with company policies and procedures, Federal, State and local regulations. Ability to keep
accurate records. Must be able to work independently and have the ability to communicate with others.