The Real Time Systems Engineer is responsible for critical real time plant computer control systems including SCADA, EMS, and Automation Systems. Responsibilities also extend to support systems such as archive and analysis systems, security access control and maintenance monitoring systems.
Works with other engineers, operating staff, and departments to determine system requirements, data relationships, algorithms and programs to design and engineer secure and compliant solutions to collect/present data and to monitor and control electrical and machine elements of the electric grid systems to most efficiently support operation of the NYPA Power System to meet its short and long-term strategic goals. May also work with and supervise contractors hired to perform major system projects related to plant modernization and enhancements.
The Real Time Systems Engineer is accountable to the New York Power Authority (NYPA) for the successful execution of his/her responsibilities in furtherance of NYPA's North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Standards Compliance program as set forth in Corporate Policies CP 10-4 and CP 2-9.Responsibilities
System / SCADA / Controls Engineer
- Support the maintenance and troubleshooting of real-time systems and applications (SCADA/EMS/ACS) such as hardware, software, networks, control system algorithms and communication subsystems (Front-end processors, ICCP, RTUs, PLCs) and associated interface equipment used to control and monitor the plant and switchyard facilities, and components of the security access control and monitoring system.
- Periodically collect and maintain data and reports as required by policy and regulatory requirements for compliance auditors, including but not limited to NERC CIP compliance
- Assist with basic documentation and implementation of procedures for effective real-time system and security access control and monitoring systems, operation, integrity, availability, utilization, data backup, and disaster recovery.
- Execution of written cyber security policies and procedures for system administration, change control, and generation of compliance documentation, including managing firewall, network, and system configurations; support testing of software security updates, such as patches and anti-virus; maintain backup and recovery systems and data; system account management and security audit log review, monitoring, and analysis.
- Support the engineering design, development, and implementation of objectives of the department, including daily and long-term maintenance, system upgrades, management, and development of the hardware, software, and networks for all of the facility's computing systems, including the plant real-time systems, security access control and monitoring systems, and business Local Area Network (LAN). Test that systems meet regulatory compliance requirements with NERC CIP.
- Support the drafting of engineering specifications, review bid documents, and evaluate bids for award to meet the short and long-term plans and projects to meet NYPA and facility objectives for control and monitoring systems and facility modernization.
- Maintain database(s) of system and software applications and configurations for security monitoring and compliance auditing.
- Maintain computers and test equipment (software, hardware, and inventory) in the production and test environments.
- Participate in factory and site acceptance testing of real-time computer control systems.
- Assist, as needed, in responding to emergencies regarding facility computing systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Assist with daily O&M activities as required for support of Plant operations.
- Assist with daily support of end-users of plant-wide business and local area network (LAN) systems.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Demonstrated competencies in the analysis, design and integration of computer systems.
- Experience administering, designing, and configuring Computer Hardware and Networks for real-time high availability systems (such as: RAID, Virtual Machines, Windows and UNIX servers).
- Some application programming experience such as Java/Tomcat, .NET, web application development experience, C/C++ and shell scripting).
- Experience ascertaining user and system requirements and providing input to technical specifications and to write system documentation.
- Experience designing and interfacing computers and I/O for simple controls, such as RTUs and PLCs, preferred.
- Knowledge of power systems operations and concepts is desirable.
- Experience reviewing and using Engineering Design Drawings & Schematics, a plus.
- Ability to perform, and develop when necessary, systems test procedures.
- Basic experience with application development and programming, and administering and maintaining databases and client/server applications using relational databases and web servers (such as: Oracle server, Oracle AS, Oracle high availability, PL/SQL, IIS, Apache).
- Some networking infrastructure experience, such as local and wide area networking, network protocols (such as: TCP/IP, T1, frame relay), and configuring and administering network infrastructure devices such as network switches, routers, firewalls, and intrusion detection devices. CISCO certifications a plus.
- Basic experience and understanding of cyber security principles and practices, a plus.
- Basic systems administration (Windows server, Linux, or Unix) experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of applicable experiencein Systems, SCADA, or Controls Engineering.
- Bachelor's Degree required in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Science, or an equivalent Technical Degree
- Certifications in areas such as Computer operating systems, Network technologies (eg. CCNA), Cyber Security (eg: CISSP), and/or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification, is a plus.
- NYS Professional Engineering (PE) License or the ability to pursue licensure, desirable.
- Approximately 20% travel primarily within NY State
- Must be able to provide 24/7 on-call support to operating facilities.
Military Occupational Speciality Codes
MOS - Army:12A, 12B, 12P, 18C, 24A, 24Z, 51S
MOS - Marines:1120, 1302, 1310, 8824, 8831, 8832, 9622, 9624, 9630, 9631, 9632, 9636
MOS- Navy:EA, MME, UT, 2166, 2167, 2170, 2180, 2181, 2740, 4210, 4270, 4280, 5761, 5904, 5913, 5917, 5925, 5927, 5960, 5961, 5970, 5980, 7273
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer