$16.32 - $19.66 Hourly
Community Development Dept
5/16/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Come work and serve in a library loved by its community. The City of Salem is seeking customer-service-minded individuals who are interested in working on-call as a part of the Salem Public Library team. The successful candidates for these positions will have excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work with diverse customers and staff.
Library Clerks sort/retrieve materials, process materials, and shelve materials. They will also assist patrons on the customer service desks registering patrons for new library accounts, provide basic reader's advisory, basic patron account assistance, and directional assistance. This position requires evening and weekend availability.
What are the minimum qualifications?
Desired Knowledge Skills And Abilities:
- Must pass the pre-employment background check and drug test (including marijuana).
- High School diploma or GED and one year library experience or other relevant customer service positions or one year of in-person customer service or related work experience, or equivalent combination of education or coursework, experience and/or training that would demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed, and the ability to perform the essential job functions.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
Where can I find out more about the position?
- Recent library or retail in-person customer service experience working with diverse populations.
- Effective decision-making with adaptability and flexibility to work with diverse and competing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high level of attention to detail for shelving library materials with accuracy using alphabetical and Dewey Decimal Library systems.
- Experience assisting customers with computers and mobile devices across digital platforms.
- Spanish language fluency is highly desired.
- Flexibility and high degree of comfort with change. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Respect, seek to understand, and value individual differences to foster and support a diverse and inclusive team-oriented workplace.
- Knowledge of modern office or library environments, practices, tools, techniques, principles and technologies, including emerging technologies.
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for the Library Clerk or view by clicking here . How can I apply?
The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
To apply, click on the green "Apply" button to complete your application. Hiring managers do not have access to view resumes as part of the application review process, please make sure to include how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification in your application.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
You may subscribe for automatic notification of job openings at the City through the Job Interest Cards - sign up today!
For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at (see application details) .