New River Community College (NRCC) is a comprehensive community college located in the New River Valley of Virginia. At NRCC you can prepare for the future with any of our various occupational programs or college transfer courses. NRCC faculty members are well known not just for their academic background, but also for their capacity to work closely and effectively with students. You’ll find that they have a genuine interest in your success. They also have excellent academic credentials. All faculty who teach college transfer courses have doctorates or master’s degrees, while those in occupational programs have a diverse background which combines academics with practical on-the-job experience. In recent years individual professors and college programs have received state and national awards for their quality.
· Teach developmental and college credit mathematics and statistics courses to occupational/technical and college transfer students, as assigned.
· Write and revise course plans.
· Develop courses, including online courses.
· Assist in the selection and creation of instructional materials.
· Recommend curricular changes to upgrade and integrate students’ mathematics skills.
· Develop and implement student retention and success initiatives.
· Assume advising responsibilities.
· Assist the department and division with administrative and/or committee work.
· Participate in department, division and college discussions, meetings, and initiatives.
· Complete other duties as assigned.
· Master’s degree with eighteen graduate semester hours in mathematics.
· Commitment to community college mission.
· Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Fairness and flexibility in understanding and working with a wide variety of students.
· Demonstrated commitment to innovative teaching approaches, including use of technology as a teaching and learning tool.
· Excellent oral and written communication, including effective communication in teaching/learning situations.
· Commitment to develop and teach online courses.
· Demonstrated skills and/or knowledge of assessment of student learning.
· Commitment to and ability to implement instructional strategies that foster student retention and student success.
· Demonstrated ability to promote and maintain effective and courteous working relationships with college faculty, administrators, and staff.
Finalists will be required to present a sample teaching lesson
Three current letters of recommendation are required.
· Previous record of excellence in teaching developmental mathematics.
· Previous record of excellence in teaching occupational/technical mathematics.
· Previous record of excellence in teaching college transfer mathematics.
· Previous record of teaching excellence in a community college environment.
Contact Name: Melissa Anderson
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a completed state application, resume, cover letter, three current letters of recommendation and unofficial transcripts.
link for posting: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/45612
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.