This is your opportunity to join AXIS Capital - a trusted global provider of specialty lines insurance and reinsurance. We stand apart for our outstanding client service, intelligent risk taking and superior risk adjusted returns for our shareholders. We also proudly maintain an entrepreneurial, disciplined and ethical corporate culture. As a member of AXIS, you join a team that is among the best in the industry.
At AXIS, we believe that we are only as strong as our people. We strive to create an inclusive and welcoming culture where employees of all backgrounds and from all walks of life feel comfortable and empowered to be themselves. This means that we bring our whole selves to work.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodation is available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
Our Commercial Management Solutions (CMS) team has a newly created position available for an Underwriting Trainee. Responsibilities will include analyses of potential and existing customers by gathering and reviewing information on the companies' financial condition, loss and exposure history, and other relevant information to determine underwriting acceptability. Duties will also entail assessing economic or climatic trends and geographic acceptability of the risks and other important criteria that may affect the type of insurance coverage provided and premiums ultimately charged. Under moderate supervision, the Underwriting Trainee will assess risk, set rate and coverage levels. This exciting opportunity will provide the successful candidate with excellent experience while developing their critical underwriting skills, through both independent and on-the-job training. It is expected that the Underwriting Trainee will establish, support, and maintain effective relationships with peers, customers, and brokers. The Underwriting Trainee will focus primarily on the renewal book of business from the initial renewal quote to invoicing for issuance.
* Perform within set timeframes to ensure appropriate response time and customer service for broker partners
* Assist underwriters with pre-qualifying accounts submitted by broker partners
* Prepare accounts to be modeled in a timely manner
* Prepare account assessment document for underwriters to review and negotiate with brokers
* Communicate with broker teams as needed
* Draft quotes and binders for underwriter review
* Conduct post-binding account changes/ transactions with underwriter review and sign off as needed
* Policy issuance and endorsement issuance within required timeframe
* Maintain accurate and timely status of accounts within systems throughout the underwriting life cycle
* Pursue professional development and training for development of product knowledge, skills for the role and any personal goals set with leader.
* Responsible for effective operation of internal controls and timely closure of Internal Audit and other actions
* Undertake general office administrative duties as and when required
In addition to the above key responsibilities, you may be required to undertake other duties from time to time as the Company may reasonably require.
* A Bachelor's degree in Risk Management and Insurance, Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Economics, Marketing, or Liberal Arts with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Currently pursuing or looking to pursue professional underwriting qualifications (CPCU)
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated analytical skills and business acumen
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
* Ability to simplify, analyze and explain complex issues
* Ability to review processes and determine opportunities for improvement
* Ability to work at both an overview and detailed level
* Ability to manage time and projects effectively
Other desired skills and characteristics:
* High energy self-starter, good decision-maker with an entrepreneurial spirit
* Marketing and sales skills and interest
* Solid time management skills
* Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills
* Team player