HOUSING REHABILITATION SPECIALIST
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Executive Office of Economic Development, Housing Division, seeks applicants for the position of Housing Rehabilitation Specialist, to conduct HUD inspections for grant funded projects in older residential buildings in need of repair. The Specialist is responsible for determining needed repairs, preparing a written list of deficiencies, preparing a detailed written plan for repairing each deficiency, estimating the cost of each item, explaining the issues to property owners and building contractors, and accepting bids on behalf of property owners. During construction, the Specialist monitors processes, evaluates quality of work, requires correction where needed, and coordinates change orders and/or payments; consults with property owner and mediates between owner and contractor: in coordination with project management team maintains the project budget, obtains authorizations of various parties, coordinates with various building departments, and files certificate of completion. Manages multiple projects concurrently.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of the building code and construction industry;
- Thorough knowledge of standard tools, equipment, methods and materials used in the construction and maintenance industry;
- Thorough knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and ordinances including Federal Lead Based Paint regulations;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent research and data processing skills and ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
- Strong time management skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions;
- Ability to read and interpret building plans and construction specifications as well as routinely interact with contractors, architects, and engineers;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse populations;
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions;
- Ability to explain construction specifications, schedules and requirements to property owners and tenants;
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to personal computers and multi-line telephone systems;
- Ability to multitask in order to complete assignments in a detailed, timely and organized manner;
- Ability to learn and enforce city and departmental rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
- An Associate's Degree in Business/Public Administration, Urban Planning, Engineering Technology, Construction Management, Structural Design, Architecture or related field
- Five (5) years of related experience in housing construction and/or rehabilitation; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
- Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License
- Bachelor's Degree in Business/Public Administration, Urban Planning, Engineering Technology, Construction Management, Structural Design, Architecture or related field plus one (1) year of related experience in housing construction and/or rehabilitation
- Massachusetts Building Code Enforcement license
- Massachusetts Deleading Supervisor
- Prior experience in real estate, loan processing, economic and/or community development.
- Prior experience interpreting and/or writing abatement specifications and reports, preferably related to lead, building inspection, code enforcement, and/or project estimates.
- NEHA Healthy Homes Specialist, NRPP Residential Radon Professional, OSHA 30, and/or Mold Remediation Supervisor preferred.
SALARY RANGE: $25.44 - $33.92 hourly, full-time, excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.