$76,107.20 - $114,857.60 Annually
MN 55101, MN
WHO WE ARE
This position is eligible for a hybrid (both remote and onsite) telework arrangement. Candidate's permanent residence must be in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
We are the Metropolitan Council, the regional government for the seven-county Twin Cities metropolitan area. We plan 30 years ahead for the future of the metropolitan area and provide regional transportation, wastewater, and housing services. More information about us on our website. We are committed to supporting a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Information Services
is the central IT department supporting all divisions of the Metropolitan Council. Our 140 team members provide technology, practices, and innovative solutions that enable the core services of the Council. How your work would contribute to our organization and the Twin Cities region:
The Applications Developer 3 - Data Engineer
will collaborate and work across multiple divisions within the Metropolitan Council: Regional Administration, Metro Transit, Metropolitan Transportation Services, Environmental Services and Community Development. This individual will work in software development, specifically with databases, to make appropriate data accessible and available to data consumers, including data scientists, data and business analysts, citizen integrators and line-of-business users.
They will help design new data solutions and will collaborate across and support business and information services, building, managing, and operationalizing datasets and data pipelines in support of key data and analytics use cases. This individual will also integrate analytics and data science outputs into existing business processes and applications.
They will comply with data governance and data security requirements. This individual will work with domain experts, data scientists and analysts in framing the business problem and provisioning integrated data quickly across multiple environments to help solve the business need.
Best qualified candidates will demonstrate an inherent drive to collaborate and be a self-starter. They will have the ability to be strategic and innovative, and present well thought-out solutions.
What you would do in this job
- Determine stakeholder requirements for data development.
- Design and develop efficient data solutions and databases.
- Data modeling and database normalization.
- Develop and enforce data integrity and referential integrity.
- Perform software development using various development methodologies.
- Create data solutions for data analysis, data warehousing, reporting, and analytics.
- Build and manage reports for data validation.
- Conduct capacity planning, feasibility studies, and analyze requirements.
- Troubleshoot database connectivity issues, network and application logic problems.
- Help perform the installation of data solutions in non-production environments.
- Build data integrations, ETL workflows and data pipelines between systems.
- May interact with application integrations such as APIs and Web Services.
- Help develop and maintain data standards and documentation.
- Help create best practices and procedures for managing data.
- Help manage database security and setup development and test environments.
- Innovate and leverage emerging technology and participate in strategic planning.
- Provide consulting services to business units within the Council.
What education and experience are required for this job (minimum qualifications)
A master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field AND two or more years of experience in the areas below
ORA bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field AND
four or more years of experience in the areas belowORAn associate degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field AND
six or more years of experience in the areas below
What additional skills and experience would be helpful in this job (desired qualifications):
- Working with stakeholders to understand business needs and gather business requirements and technology teams to develop data solutions
- Database design and data modeling
- Building transactional databases, data marts and data warehouses
- Creating data integrations and building data pipelines between systems such as using ETL or other data movement tools
- Designing and building reports and data visualizations
- Working with SQL Server, Oracle and/or other similar database technologies
What knowledge, skills and abilities you should have:
- Experience with Application Integrations, APIs, Web Services, and Integration Platform as a Service (IPaaS)
- Experience developing data solutions for the cloud
- BI Tools (i.e. report tools, data integrations) administration experience
What you can expect from us:
- Ability to retrieve, analyze, and communicate relational and non-relational data
- Skills working with XML, JSON, or other semi-structured formats
- Knowledge of Windows, Linux and/or Unix OS and related software
- General systems management and networking skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and with a team
- We offer the opportunity to make a difference and positively influence the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
- We encourage our employees to develop their skills through on-site training and tuition reimbursement.
- We provide a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a good work/life balance.
More about why you should join us!
Union/Grade: American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees/Grade H
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Safety Sensitive: No
What your work environment would be:
You would perform your work in a standard office setting. Work may sometimes require travel between your primary work site and other sites.
What steps the recruitment process involves:
1. We review your minimum qualifications.
2. We rate your education and experience.
3. We conduct a structured panel interview.
4. We conduct a selection interview and assessment.
Once you have successfully completed the steps above, then:
If you are new to the Metropolitan Council, you must pass a drug test (safety sensitive positions only), and a background check which verifies education, employment, and criminal history. A driving record check and/or physical may be conducted if applicable to the job. If you have a criminal conviction, you do not automatically fail. The Metropolitan Council considers felony, gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions on a case-by-case basis, based on whether they are related to the job and whether the candidate has demonstrated adequate rehabilitation.
If you are already an employee of the Metropolitan Council, you must pass a drug test (if moving from a non-safety sensitive position to a safety sensitive position) and criminal background check if the job you're applying for is safety sensitive, is a supervisory or management job, is in the Finance, Information Services, Audit, or Human Resources departments, or has access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers or transit fare cards. A driving record check and/or physical may be conducted if applicable to the position.
IMPORTANT: If you make a false statement or withhold information, you may be barred from job consideration.
The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and veteran-friendly employer. The Council is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of the region and strongly encourages persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please email HR-OCCHealth@metc.state.mn.us.