Job Title: Financial Analyst I
Reports to: Director, Impact Investing
Department: Finance/Impact Investing
Location: Baltimore, Washington D.C., or New York
A leading global humanitarian and development agency, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) reaches over 190 million people across more than 100 countries. Since 1943, we have built strong partnerships with local communities, governments, and organizations around the world, creating renowned programming and operations that produce tangible results and make us a trusted partner. Our mission is lasting transformation of individual lives and entire societies-change that requires significant resources.
Government funding and philanthropy alone are insufficient to address the urgent and multidimensional issues of poverty and injustice affecting our world. Impact investing presents a unique opportunity to bring further innovation, scale, and sustainable solutions to programs that address the needs of vulnerable people and communities. CRS uses its own capital to pilot and scale innovative investment approaches and bring together investors to address market gaps.
The Financial Analyst will be an integral part of the Impact Investing and Private Sector Engagement (II/PSE) team, supporting investment reporting, analysis, due diligence and portfolio management for CRS impact investing enterprise opportunities and investment vehicles, as well as overall team operations.
We are looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented candidate who has financial analytical and/or accounting skills and is driven to apply those skills for social impact. This includes a solid understanding of financial statement review and analysis either through direct work experience or education. The Financial Analyst should be comfortable with a flexible and evolving role that supports many aspects of the team's workstreams. This is an entry-level position. The right candidate will have the opportunity to grow and advance his/her career within an entrepreneurial team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Investment Analysis and Financial Modeling
- Support initial reviews of companies or funds for potential investment (including business plan review, financial model analysis and coordination of social impact evaluation) for CRS impact investing opportunities, including direct enterprise investments and third-party funds.
- Build and manage Microsoft Excel financial models to support analysis of impact investment opportunities under consideration, including direct enterprise investments, new investment vehicles and third-party funds.
- Draft investment memoranda and support transaction negotiation and execution for impact investing opportunities, including direct enterprise investments and third-party funds.
- Support deal logistics, including legal document review and coordination of signatures.
- Support in-depth market research and analysis for target countries and sectors of interest.
- Undertake targeted research to support the development of a pipeline of new investment opportunities, including direct enterprise investments and third-party funds.
- Perform country risk assessments and know-your-customer reviews related to CRS impact investing opportunities, including for CRS-managed vehicles.
- Prepare quarterly reports on investment performance, including direct enterprise investments and third-party funds. Track portfolio company performance and key disbursement, repayment and reporting dates as laid out in each loan (or other investment) agreement.
- Prepare investment disbursement requests and coordinate with CRS' Financial Reporting team to ensure accurate recording.
- As requested, coordinate planning, travel and onsite logistics for large scale activities organized by the II/PSE team, including multi-day trainings/workshops and conferences. Travel and logistics support includes arranging and coordinating venues, flights, ground transportation, lodging, meals, supplies, A/V and expense reporting/reimbursements. In collaboration with the II/PSE team, develop, manage and disseminate agendas, briefing materials and any follow-up reporting related to these activities.
- Schedule, coordinate, provide A/V and other logistical support, for II/PSE team meetings and conference calls. Participate in meetings and prepare/distribute detailed meeting notes, as required, including for governance meetings related to II/PSE-structured investment vehicles.
- Manage vendor information and payments related to II/PSE team, and support Isidro Investments payments, as requested.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting required.
- One year of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience working in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated interest in social entrepreneurship, blended financing models, impact investing or other innovative development financing approaches strongly preferred.
Required Languages - English fluency required; French or Spanish fluency preferred
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 15% (pending travel restrictions).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated interest in social impact and/or impact investing. Exceptionally strong analytical and organizational skills; quantitative modeling experience preferred.
- Understanding of financial accounting principles.
- Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar.
- Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Team player with a positive attitude who can work independently while also being highly collaborative and open.
- Excellent attention to detail, adherence to deadlines and consideration of follow-through. Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Exceptional computer skills, including fluency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Supervisory Responsibilities - None
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people - especially children and vulnerable adults - to live free from abuse and harm.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: HQ-US-MarylandJob: Cross-FunctionalOrganization: Catholic Relief ServicesSchedule: RegularShift: StandardJob Type: Full-time Day JobJob Posting: Apr 20, 2022, 7:58:31 PM