Education is ever-evolving. And so are we.
We seek passionate people from diverse backgrounds who are committed to helping improve the work of schools as a trusted partner in advancing learning. By joining the Cognia team, you will be immersed in a community of energetic and resourceful people dedicated to a common vision to impact and inspire education providers to advance and enable pathways of success for all learners. At Cognia we have developed a holistic approach to education that empowers schools to create real outcomes and optimize learning for students of all backgrounds, servicing more than 36,000 institutions, 5 million teachers, and 25 million students in 85 countries. When you join Cognia, you join a team of experts passionate about our mission and embracing our core values in everything we do.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Content Specialist III ELA/ELL is responsible for the test development activities for one or more assessment programs or projects. These assessment programs or projects may be traditional large-scale summative assessments, curriculum-embedded and formative assessments, content or item specifications, enterprise products or project work often related to research or expanding the use of technology in assessments. An aspect of the role is to create and analyze test designs, conduct internal reviews and lead meetings with content specialists to discuss and resolve issues. The Content Specialist III ELA/ELL starts up test development work associated with new contracts or projects under minimal supervision and mentors test development staff. The Content Specialist III ELA/ELL also serves as lead developer, demonstrating project management ability, time management, ability to work independently, ability to train and coordinate team members and item writers.
- Consult with clients and project management staff to map out the test development components of new large-scale customized assessment contracts.
- Contribute to conceptualization, specifications, and creation of innovative content and new assessment products, systems, or services.
- Use databases and technology tools to construct, track and edit items.
- Create and refine a wide variety of items (including multiple-choice, short answer, constructed response, evidence-based response, technology-enhanced, module, performance tasks) aligned to standards. Also develop item-specific scoring guides, distractor rationales, or other supplemental item information.
- Prepare item sets for committee meetings, and facilitate and guide the work of advisory committees.
- Assist with development of assessment guides, brochures, and sample question packets.
- Consult with chief readers during benchmarking.
- Conduct internal reviews.
- Create contract-specific or project-specific item and test specifications, as well as interpret standards for developers and item writers.
- Create and analyze test blueprints.
- Provide specific, item-level feedback to test developers and item writers.
- Interpret and use item statistics in the selection of items; complete item selection and test construction according to blueprint and test specifications.
- Work with project managers on schedules, project-specific content development issues on a per-contract basis.
- Assure quality and adherence to specifications for all items for assigned contracts or projects.
- Create and conduct item-writing training workshops for a variety of audiences; address concerns of workshop members (clients and/or developers).
- Understand psychometric, political, policy and content consideration issues associated with individual contract or project development activities.
- Apply knowledge of standards-based practices; curriculum, instruction, and assessment to principal activities.
- Ascertain and study current trends in national and professional groups' content standards, as well as trends in how children and adults learn.
- Serve as lead developer and train new content leads.
- Coordinate agendas and provide uniformity of items during presentations.
- Interpret standards for developers and item writers.
- Communicate project details to various departments.
- Work with psychometricians to develop items to both content and psychometric parameters including adaptive testing banks.
- Participate in personal and professional development.
- Perform duties and fulfill responsibilities that may, from time to time, include related or unrelated tasks.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of ten (10) years of combined classroom teaching and educational assessment experience, with at least seven (7) years in educational assessment; individuals with ten (10) years in Education and at least five (5) years of directly applicable assessment industry experience, which includes proven experience demonstrating test development competencies associated with a Content Specialist III level role, may also be considered. Master's Degree or Ph D. in an applicable discipline may be substituted for up to two (2) years of classroom teaching experience
- Content Specialists are required to have in-depth knowledge in a specific discipline to successfully develop test activities for assessment programs. Education/Degree coupled with teaching experience must be in English/Language Arts, ELL experience preferred
- Communication: A process by which information is effectively exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols, signs, or behavior
- Technical Expertise: Job-related specialized knowledge and the proficient use of technology-based tools
- Individual Accountability: Takes full responsibility for own behavior and professional development
- Scope-of-Work Management: The planning, organization and use of available resources in order to move specific tasks, events or job responsibilities toward completion
- Leadership: A process of workplace influence or control in which a person enlists the participation of others and the requisite resources in the creation and accomplishment of specific objectives and goals
Anticipated Travel (may include local, national, and/or international travel):
At Cognia, we recognize the critical role played by our teams in carrying out the organization's important educational mission. As a reflection of that recognition our exceptional benefits offerings include generous paid time off and holiday breaks, comprehensive insurance plans, and a 12.5% retirement savings contribution which is immediately vested, all effective on your date of hire. This represents an affirmative commitment by the organization to attract and retain the highest quality workforce - to ensure our continued ability to effectively serve our mission for years to come.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Cognia is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.