Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
Position Title: Events Intern
Department: Marketing and Brand Strategy
Reports to: Senior director of events and marketing operations
Position(s) Supervised: N/A
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Events Intern, with support from the Senior Director of Events and Marketing Operations, Senior Manager of Meetings & Exhibits and Event Manager, works with internal and external clients to define objectives, plan logistics, and report outcomes for meetings and events. The types of meetings and events include educational conferences, international events, tradeshows and exhibits, and public meetings, as well as WEDC's first annual Economic Summit (September 20 & 21, in Appleton). Additionally, they work closely with the full Marketing and Brand Strategy team to leverage customer databases and communication methods (like social media, newsletters) to better recruit attendees for these meetings and events.
The Events Intern will spend a majority of their time in these activities:
- Sponsorship administration: track outgoing sponsorships as well as signatures needed while working with the other events team members to ensure that all "sponsorship benefits" are fulfilled to fit the needs and objectives of WEDC.
- Fulfill internal requests for tabletop exhibit kits with the guidance of the exhibits manager.
- Day-of-Event Coordinator: design, prepare, and quality-check attendee badges; run the on-site registration desk; set up and moderate associated, large-event webinars using in-house technology; prepare other attendee materials, folder, giveaways, rosters; coordinate the online post-event evaluation and report; keep inventory of backdrops, projects computers, and other display materials, as well as back-of-house office needs; help determine prospects and invitees for events; work day-of event, supporting primary Event Manager, as needed.
- Participate in and support WEDC's hosted events as a key member of the events team.
- Provide a variety of support to other functions within the department, such as: support and attendance at planning meetings with internal clients, research of different venues and meeting options, and brainstorming on ways to promote registration and marketing of an event.
- Manage WEDC's physical marketing and event assets (signage, kiosks, giveaways etc.) Online Registration Process: set up and support, run automated and custom reports, manage the look/feel of event-related websites and emails through online registration tool, and provide customer service to callers with online registration questions and concerns.
Education and Experience:
- Current enrollment in a degree program related to Events Management, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Non-Profit Management, Hospitality, Hotel Management, or other related program.
- Some project management/coordinator experience desired
- Experience with online registration desired
Skills and Talents:
- Ability to organize work, balance multiple priorities and manage a variety of projects in a fast-paced, flexible work environment with strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills, sound reasoning, independent judgment and initiative to accomplish tasks with little or no direction and to solve issues/accomplish tasks not requiring the involvement of others
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft office suite of products and other software or applications associated with assigned work
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to deal effectively with senior executives as well as diverse groups of people internal and external to the organization
- High level of confidentiality and discretion
- High professionalism
- State-wide travel may occur on an occasional basis, less than 10% of the time. Travel is anticipated to include rare day and overnight travel.
- Based on the responsibilities of this position, this position may need to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.