See Position Description
Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services
Officiate at municipal adult league basketball events. Detect infractions of rules and decide penalties according to established regulations.
$22.69 per game
- Officiate at basketball games to maintain standards of play and ensure game rules are observed.
- Judge performance in order to award points, impose penalties or determine results.
- Turn in scores and times to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Signal game start/end times.
- Keep track of elapsed time, starting and stopping play as necessary.
- Resolve complaints or claims of infractions by participants and assess proper action required.
- Verify scores as necessary.
- Direct participants to assigned areas.
- Report to PRCS Recreation Supervisor regarding scores, complaints, or other disciplinary actions taken.
- Confer with coaches, players and facility managers to provide information, coordinate activities and discuss issues.
- Teach and explain established rules and regulations governing basketball.
- Verify eligibility of players and equipment.
- Attend assigned games consistently with limited access to personal time off.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Previous experience as an official preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the rules and regulations of adult basketball league.
- A minimum of at least 2 years of active league play preferred.
- Ability to resolve conflict in a professional, polite, equitable manner.
- A demonstrated history of excellent work attendance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
Duties involve the regular, and at times sustained, performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking/running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, kneeling, leaping, jumping down, standing in place or continual walking, lifting and carrying of moderate to heavy items (including people) on a consistent basis. Exposure to moving objects such as basketballs.
Referee shirt and whistle.