What You Will Do:
Gannett Fleming is seeking full-time and part-time Operators in Ankeny, IA to assist the Iowa Department of Transportation (Iowa DOT) at their Statewide Transportation Management Center (TMC) in Ankeny, IA.
Both full-time and part-time positions are available.
The responsibility of a TMC Operator is to maintain professional work in the analysis of traffic conditions, real time and historic within the Statewide Traffic Management Center. An employee in this job gathers real time transportation conditions from a wide variety of sources and analyzes historic transportation events in order to develop analytical work products for transportation, partner state agencies, and the first responder community use by: anticipating, preventing, mitigating, planning for, training, response, operations, and recovery of transportation events.
Work involves collecting real time and historic transportation data; evaluating and comparing the data to determine its meaning and relevance to traffic incident management (TIM); producing strategic and tactical situational awareness products as directed and including: Hotspot studies, monthly memos identifying best practice and areas of opportunity as they affect transportation concerns. You will also collaborate with federal, state, and local transportation partners to share and coordinate situational awareness.
- Entering ticker/information for 511 for Neighboring states and Partnering State Agencies
- Assesses and plans the collection and analysis of information according to transportation incident management needs.
- Gathers and assembles raw data from: databases, various open source resources, INRIX, Speed timing devices, RCRS and produces situational awareness reports.
- Coordinates communications with: law enforcement, emergency response and incident management entities, Iowa DOT personnel, and others concerning transportation issues and events.
- Verifies reported events with Department personnel, Iowa State Patrol, and Iowa Emergency Management.
- Determines the severity level of an incident and executes the appropriate incident response protocols, policies, and procedures based on existing and predicted traffic conditions.
- Operates ITS field devices; such as CCTV Cameras, DMS, and Highway Advisory Radio (HAR), to assist in the directing of traffic and disseminating incident information to the public.
- Reviews and assumes help desk tickets on: Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) software concerns and other software malfunctions, Intelligent Traffic System (ITS) device malfunctioning.
- Participates in roll call for in-coming and out-going shift with operators, supervisors, and managers.
- Participates, coordinates, and creates emergency transportation operations training to include company and Iowa DOT professional training and National Incident Management System (NIMS) training.
- Performs other related work as required.
Education | Experience:
- High School Diploma required, Associates Degree Preferred
- One year of professional experience in the analysis of information that includes reporting and computer proficiency in Microsoft software
- One year of professional experience in receiving, gathering, organizing, and disseminating information in traffic, air, water, or rail or related industry,
- One year of experience evaluating and coordinating information related to data, traffic incidents, or conditions.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of emergency management.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of transportation incident management (traffic, air, water, and rail).
- Knowledge of the techniques and devices used for effective traffic control.
- Knowledge of research methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in gathering, organizing, and analyzing data.
- Knowledge of instructional techniques and methods utilized in traffic incident management.
- Knowledge of the methods to analyze large amounts of data and the ability to secure situational awareness from that data.
- Ability to read and interpret state and federal laws, Iowa DOT rules, regulations, and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to read and understand road, route, and geographic maps.
- Ability to gather and analyze data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Ability to assist in the basic responsibilities of administering training programs.
UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF OUR TRAINING PROGRAM AND YOUR TRANSITION FROM TRAINEE TO OPERATOR, YOU WILL RECEIVE A $500 RETENTION BONUS!
At Gannett Fleming, we believe in improving the lives of the people we serve. We believe in innovation and social responsibility. We believe in the diversity of our team and the creative solutions they provide. We believe in embracing change and emerging technologies while maintaining an unmatched standard of quality. We believe in creating an environment where employees can thrive at home and at work. We believe in engaging our employees, building lasting relationships with our clients, and, in turn, making a difference in the world.
Gannett Fleming is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans status or other characteristics protected by law.
Gannett Fleming will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa), including any visa renewal during employment, for any candidate for this position. No relocation assistance will be provided for this position. Local candidates will be given preference.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE: Unsolicited resumes from third party agencies will not be accepted.
Location: Ankeny, IA
Working Hours: Variable shifts
Employment Status: Full-Time and Part-Time
Internal Requisition ID: 2022-8805