Red Dog Rover Mechanic
313 East F Street, Tacoma, Washington 98421
Location: Tacoma, WA & Red Dog Alaska
December 1 to April 15: In Tacoma Washington assisting in Maintenance & Repair and clean up on lighterage barges. Standard workweek is 4 days a week, 10 hours a day and reports to the Maintenance Supervisor.
June 25 to November 1: In Red Dog, Alaska responsible for inspecting and reporting any issues with barge conveyor systems. Assisting in safe operations and maintenance of barge machinery. Rover Mechanic paid a 12 hour day rate, and expected to work two (2), five (5) hour shifts per day, dependent on weather. Rover Mechanic is on call 27/7 and reports directly to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Will meet the barge with the Barge Supervisor upon arrival at the load cells and assist in making the barge fast with mooring lines.
- Operate a radio and maintain constant radio contact with the Barge Supervisor to insure the safety of both people and machinery
- Perform maintenance and repair tasks during lay periods as assigned.
- Basic knowledge or comprehension of operating machinery, pumps, fluid dynamics, vacuum a plus.
- Reports to Maintenance Supervisor and assist Maintenance Supervisor & Rover Mechanics on barge conveyor systems
- Maintains engine room log books
- Assists Loader Operators with fueling
- Works in confined spaces to monitor operations of conveyor system
- Participation in the Lead Compliance Program with respect to quarterly blood testing, fitting and proper utilization of respiratory protection.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ensure that personal safety equipment issued is used at all times and is properly maintained.
- Adherence to Standard Operating Procedures as given in the Barge Superintendent's Manual.
- Adherence to the Foss Drug and Alcohol Policy, as well as all policies and work rules as given in the Foss Employee handbook.
ENVIRONMENT AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Subject to weather conditions, including exposure to high noise levels and exposure to heat and cold.
- Work is generally performed in the field
- Candidate must be able to work for extended periods of time confined spaces wearing safety equipment such as, hard hat, gloves, boots, rain gear, and respirators for protection from harmful dust and fumes.
- Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit/stand; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to move between buildings, ascend/descend stairs and go outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- One needs the ability to climb ladders and over bulwarks.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
- Must have reasonable sensory skills. Including color vision, depth perception, hand/eye coordination and hearing.
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Must be flexible to other job duties as assigned.
- Must be able to fly in a fixed-wing aircraft.
High school diploma or equivalent (GED) is required. Must pass a physical-fit exam. Must possess a valid or be willing to obtain TWIC card.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.