The medical assistant performs patient care from intake to exit, assists with daily care, performs various medical tasks including but not limited to vitals, point of care testing, outreach, medication administration, documentation etc. The medical assistant also performs administrative duties as assigned.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Daily contact with patients, providers, and nursing staff. Frequent contact with patients, family members, other employees, and visitors. Frequent contact with contracted services staff and referral sources.
* Assists patients through the flow of the visit.
Checking, Examining, and Recording
* Pre-visit planning: Follow up on referrals, consult notes, labs and other outside patient health records
* Provide accurate documentation of reason for visit.
Analytical and Critical Thinking
* Collects and records data regarding vital signs (pulse, temperature, respirations, blood pressure, weight, height.
* Assists in implementing the plan of care by collecting specimens, administering treatments and injections, assisting with procedures and GYN exams, recording changes in health status, and assisting clinicians and nurses in the delivery of care.
* Alerts health care team when leaving the floor for breaks or end of shift.
* Explain the concept and relationships of confidentiality, anonymity and informed consent.
* Reinforce health information
* Explain the importance of returning for posttest counseling; develop a plan with the client to receive test results.
* Ensure that the client understands what the test result means and provide counseling at the time results are given. Review risk assessment and safer sex guidelines with client.
* Establish rapport with client and demonstrate sensitivity to behaviors, circumstances and special needs. Listen effectively, encourage questions, and distribute educational/preventive materials and condoms when applicable.
Workplace Computers and Equipment
* Documents in medical records and writes notes in an accurate and thorough manner.
* Performs point of care and other tests according to established policies and procedures.
* Works collaboratively with all members of patient care team.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to work effectively with a diverse population
* Ability to deliver exceptional customer service by empathizing with customer/patient needs
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and work as part of a team
* Must be flexible and adapt to a changing environment
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
* Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program
* Required: Certified or registered medical assistant
* Preferred: At least 1 year experience as a medical assistant in a similar environment
* Desired: Working knowledge of electronic medical records