Summer Associate ID:
Business Development Job Type:
Non-exempt (hourly) Position Type:
More about this job >
If you have a passion for renewable energy and combating climate change, come and join our team!
FirstLight Power is looking for innovative, collaborative, and team-oriented interns to join our talented and dynamic team of individuals working to decarbonize the grid and accelerate the clean energy transformation.
Working with the FirstLight Corporate Strategy and Business Development team, the Summer Associate will help refine FirstLight's strategic trajectory by working across various clean energy technologies, including pumped storage, hydropower, solar PV, lithium-ion storage and wind, as well as relevant state and federal policy design.
Core responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
Qualifications / Skills Sought
- Assessment of the U.S. energy storage landscape, including:
- Technologies - what is being built today, and what might be built in the next 10 years?
- Business models - what models are developers, operators, integrators, suppliers, etc. using to participate in the market?
- Procurement/subsidy models - which states/regions have existing programs and how successful have they been?
- Existing projects/pipelines - who are the biggest players in the northeast? In the U.S.? What business model are they using?
- Financings - what have been terms of closed financings at the project level? Portfolio level? Platform level? How might this change over the next 3-5 years?
- Integration of U.S. energy storage landscape observations with FirstLight strategy:
- How should FirstLight be thinking about energy storage in relation to our existing strategic plan? In relation to our existing portfolio?
- What synergy opportunities exist between energy storage and renewable energy, particularly hydropower and offshore wind?
- What business model and operational capabilities should FirstLight consider adopt?
- Contribute to FirstLight's energetic and team-based culture through daily engagement as well as unique experiences, such as: tours of Northfield Mountain Pumped Storage facility and other generation/storage sites, events at Greentown Labs, observing FirstLight's real-time trading desk and FirstLight's regular social outings.
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of skills that enables them to thrive executing financial, technical, and policy-related deliverables. The position caters to one who seeks to make a difference in fighting against climate chance by imagining, creating and delivering market-based clean energy solutions. The Summer Associate will report to the Head of Corporate Strategy and will work across FirstLight's business units, integrating with the Operations, Commercial, and Government Affairs teams. COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
In an effort to protect the health and safety of our employees and the communities we serve, FirstLight will require all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
. This is a necessary goal, as part of our efforts, to provide a safe and healthy workplace for our employees.
In reference to CDC guidance, individuals are considered fully vaccinated
- 2 Weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series (i.e., Pfizer-BionNTech or Moderna Vaccines); or
- 2 Weeks after a single-dose vaccine (i.e., Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Vaccine)
FirstLight is a leading clean power producer and energy storage company with operating and development assets in New England (ISO NE), Pennsylvania and New Jersey (PJM), and New York (NYISO), with expansion to other regions actively underway. Our operating portfolio includes nearly 1.4 GW of pumped-hydro storage (including Northfield Mountain, the largest energy storage facility in New England), battery storage, conventional hydroelectric generation, and solar generation-the largest clean energy generation portfolio operating in New England today. Our development pipeline includes over 1,000 MW of solar, battery and offshore wind projects in various stages of development, and we are developing a portfolio of hybrid hydro, solar and battery projects that combine operational and development assets.
Our mission and vision is to accelerate the decarbonization of the electric grid by owning, operating, and integrating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets to meet the region's growing clean energy needs and to deliver an electric system that is clean, reliable, affordable, and equitable.
Building upon our industry-leading experience in operating large-scale renewable energy and storage assets, FirstLight's vision and commitment to leading the energy industry transformation make us uniquely positioned to navigate rapidly evolving market conditions and grow our portfolio in North American markets in the years ahead.
We have approximately 125 employees based in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and our corporate headquarters are located in Burlington, MA. Our Values
FirstLight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, FirstLight complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
In addition, FirstLight values the following characteristics and behaviors in our team members:
- Respect: Showing respect for each other and the environment, fostering an inclusive and diverse team of employees, and providing a strong commitment to social responsibility
- Integrity: Exemplifying integrity in all business decisions highlighted through honesty, transparency, and trust.
- Safety: Providing a safe environment for our employees and for all visitors to our recreational facilities.
- Excellence: Continually striving to achieve the greatest level of operational excellence so that we produce the highest quality output and consistently deliver results.
- Innovation: Dedication to creating new market-leading solutions to stay ahead of unprecedented changes in the energy industry.
- Team: Creating an inspiring workplace that fosters open communication, collaboration, and accelerates personal growth. We seek to attract, retain, and develop the best talent in the industry to fuel our success. Diversity is a strategic advantage we need to cultivate.
Join Our Team!
Want to learn more about FirstLight? Check us out below!
Diversity Jobs LinkedIn Our Website