Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe's growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
You will be a member of the Product team, focusing on key internal initiatives to enable the secure operation and scaling of Ginkgo Bioworks. You will be supporting IT functions such as helpdesk, system administration, networking, lab IT support, cloud operations, software development, enterprise systems, and information security, in their mission to implement and support Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) systems, including enterprise-class systems. Customers include a mix of scientific, internal software, and business teams. In supporting the company goals, we strive to provide all of our users with scalable and easy-to-use systems, designed to be as "hands-off" and as automated as possible.
As a Product Manager, you will drive the vision and roadmap for these initiatives. You must have strong stakeholder management skills and approach problems from a data and systems-design perspective. You will be working closely with a variety of stakeholders across departments to understand their goals, current workflows, information they manage, current security practices, identify gaps, develop requirements, and create a roadmap/portfolio of solutions that solve these needs. We are looking for an exceptional person with hands-on experience with information technology products and related services, with a proven track record in risk management and project/product management. Candidates should know industry best practices and have a strong desire to expand those best practices for the specific needs of Ginkgo Bioworks and synthetic biology as a whole.Please note: We are looking for someone who can work on-site in our office in Boston's exciting Seaport district, with some remote work possible.
- Collaborate with teams of engineers and consultants to deliver IT solutions, including enterprise-class solutions
- Proactively communicate possible risks and recommendations to mitigate
- Break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Educate yourself and stakeholders on information technology topics and supporting technologies (e.g., virtual networks)
- Work on product planning, including short-term release plans and long-term roadmaps for your functional area
- Stay on top of new solutions and practices being developed in the industry and understand how these new technologies and practices may be applied to your functional area
- Define and track key performance metrics and measurable success criteria
- Collect and synthesize user feedback to identify product gaps and define requirements to meet the gaps
- Work with stakeholders/engineers to understand the implications of solution ideas and integration with Ginkgo infrastructure
- Collaboratively develop the best solutions that can be delivered in a time and cost-sensitive manner
- Build, groom, and prioritize the backlog and roadmap
- Ensure sufficient documentation and training to support processes and tools for 24x7 operations across continents
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- BA/BS or higher degree, with a degree in computer science, computer information systems, or a related field a plus
- 5+ years of project or product management experience and a proven track record in providing scalable solutions that integrate with enterprise infrastructure
- Experience working with internal stakeholders such as Finance, Procurement, Facilities, EH&S, Manufacturing, Quality, etc. on solutions in spaces such as Supply Chain, ERP, HRIS, Document Management, MES, LIMS, HMI solutions
- Experience in optimizing solutions across multiple user types
- Willing and able to stay current on IT best practices
- Excited to work with the best scientists and engineers
- Ability to thrive and stay calm in a fast-paced, high-pressure, ever-changing environment
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical people in an easily understandable way
- High level working familiarity with enterprise IT technologies such as directory services, middleware, databases (relational and/or NoSQL), cloud computing, SaaS, enterprise reporting, security technologies (e.g., SSL, certificates), messaging frameworks (e.g., XML, ORB, SOAP, REST, JSON), containers, etc. is desirable
- Experience working in environments under regulations such as FedRAMP, FISMA, CLIA, SOX, HIPAA, or GXP a plus but not required
- A proven track record of working with developers, operations, and users to troubleshoot and resolve challenging problems in a timely manner
- Familiarity with Agile goals, principles, and practices strongly desired
- Experience working in Life Sciences a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks CEO on scaling up Covid-19 testing: 'If we try, we can win' (CNBC)
Ginkgo raises $70 million to ramp up COVID-19 testing for employers, universities (Boston Globe)
Ginkgo Bioworks Redirects Its Biotech Platform to Coronavirus (Wall Street Journal)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
Synthetic Bio Pioneer Ginkgo Raises $290 Million in New Funding (Bloomberg)
Ginkgo Bioworks raises $350 million fund for biotech spinouts (Reuters)
Can This Company Convince You to Love GMOs? (The Atlantic)
We also feel that it's important to point out the obvious here - there's a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We're developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can - and will - impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it's something we'll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it's critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.