Industry News and Information

Eight Steps To The Right College For You

Shawn Augustson AvatarShawn Augustson
January 31, 2007

Finding the right college is an art, rather than a science. It takes time, energy, and a willingness to ask yourself some tough questions about what kind of college experience you want and what kind of college is most likely to give it to you. It can’t be reduced to a checklist or chart or formula.
As a student of color, you will be doing everything everyone else is while looking for a college—and maybe a little bit more. Here are eight steps that will help you explore widely and choose wisely.

First, apply yourself in high school. Don’t go for the easy “A.” Colleges, especially selective colleges, want to see challenging courses on your record. Get involved in things beyond academics, too—and not just sports. What about community service, a local youth group, student government, or a club? And don’t be reluctant to take a leadership position in these kinds of organizations. Be sure to take your SATs in the spring of your junior year; this gives you the chance to take them a second or even a third time. Many schools will accept your highest scores.
Second, know yourself. Look for a school that is strong in the things you might want to major in. Think about size: if you are considering a large school where classes can be big, sit in on some large lecture classes; if you aren’t comfortable, visit some other schools which offer smaller classes and more personal attention. Consider how important the school’s academic reputation is to you. What about its location: do you want to experience a different part of the country? What about opportunities for internships and research that might interest you? What about academic support services, such as tutoring or assistance in writing papers? Which of these are most important to you?
Third, make your own list of priorities. Many students of color do not choose a college based on the diversity of its student body. Take stock of yourself: how important is this to you? If you are currently attending a high school with many students of color, it may be a shock coming to a campus with mostly white students. But remember—that is only one aspect of college, and it may or may not be a deciding factor for you. No college will have everything you want; what is important to your best friend or your classmates or even your parents may not be important to you.
Fourth, get your parents involved. Take them to college fairs and to open houses held by colleges. During the summer of your junior year, visit some campuses together. If you can’t visit with your parents, bring back information to them. If a college is too far away to visit, request a video and/or an interview with an alumnus in your area.
If your parents didn’t go to college, they may not know how to guide you. You’ll need to educate them about the process and make them feel part of it. They may be concerned—even frightened—by the cost of college, especially a private college. They may also be uncomfortable with—or even afraid of—disclosing their income on the financial aid forms. You might also find your parents have strong opinions on where you should go to college. For example, if your parents are African American and attended one of the historically black colleges, they may want you to do so, too. Your parents may be reluctant to send you far away to school. Whatever their concerns, involving your parents in your search can help them feel more at ease about the choices you’re making—decisions you want them to support.
By the way, consider asking an admissions counselor to call your parents. If your parents don’t speak English, call before you visit and ask if a counselor or another student who speaks their language can meet with you. The ultimate goal? Your parents should be involved in the process, but the final choice should be one that makes you happy.
Fifth, visit, visit, visit. This is crucial for getting a feel for what your life might be like at a particular college. Stay overnight. Go to classes. Eat lunch in the dining hall. Go to a social event. Read the campus newspaper. Listen to the radio station. Watch the flow of students as they move from class to class. Look for campus political or religious organizations or other activities there that appeal to you. And pay attention to that “inner voice” that speaks to you as you do all these things. When you set up your visit, you might ask to stay with a student of the same ethnic background—don’t assume this will happen unless you request it. Talk to current students from a variety of backgrounds and with interests similar to yours.
Sixth, ask admissions representatives specific questions, among them: How many minorities enroll? How many come back sophomore year? How many graduate? How many hold leadership positions in student organizations? How many are professors, administrators, and staff? What kinds of support services—like tutoring or mentoring—exist? Ask, above all, about the things you care about.
Seventh, don’t be put off by “sticker shock.” Some of the colleges that cost the most also offer the best aid packages—and most college students do receive financial aid of some kind. Scholarships and grants are valuable, as you do not need to repay them. Loans and work-study opportunities also make education more affordable.
Ask if the college is “need blind” in the way it distributes its financial aid. “Need blind” means that your need for financial aid is not considered in the decision to admit you. Typically at such schools, admitted students are offered a financial aid package generous enough to make it possible to attend. Some colleges also have special scholarships targeted to minority students. Ask about them, and look also for local organizations that offer scholarships; your guidance counselor can help you find them.
Eighth, consider schools you may not have heard of. Some excellent schools don’t have big names, and even some top-ranked colleges are well known only in their own region of the country. Use this magazine, your guidance office, the many college guides/catalogs, and the Internet to search for colleges. (One good place to start looking online is www.privatecolleges.com.) And don’t let the cost of a trip keep you from considering a distant college. Many schools aggressively recruit students from different racial and ethnic backgrounds. They may pay for your visit to a college, even for your airfare. Call and ask.
Think of all this as homework. In truth, it’s probably the most important homework assignment you’ll do all year.
San Diego-based writer Deborah Knight
Source: www.careersandcolleges.com